II

↱"There were hints and intimations of the shape of things to come

"There were hints and intimations of the shape of things to come."

-Dexter Palmer.

the next day

"WHY MUST YOU DO THAT?" Levi asked Katerina as he sipped his tea; one hand firmly holding the cup by its body while the other lay on Katerina's thigh.

Katerina had woken up early, before the break of dawn, to sew up some of Eren's old clothing that had seen better days. She had been working diligently for a few hours before Levi awoke and joined her. 

Levi was looking at her with admiration, but also with slight worry, he wasn't used to seeing Katerina engage in such menial work and he wondered if the lack of combat was getting to her. 

"Because this kid would be lost without me," Katerina joked, smiling at the pressure of Levi's hand on her. She continued to sew the hole in Eren's pants carefully, making sure her stitching was strong and precise. She couldn't help but laugh at the joke Levi had made the other day.

Maybe domestication really did suit her?

The kitchen was filled with the rest of Squad Levi, minus Eren, as they finished up their meals and executed their morning chores.

"Where is that brat anyways?" Levi questioned, his fingers all of a sudden tensing on his cup. "Who told him he could sleep in?"

"Be nice," Katerina insisted, narrowing her eyes at him. "You have no idea the kind of pressure you put on him."

"Ugh," Levi groaned, rolling his eyes. "I really do hate how you must always defend him."

"No, you don't. Now, be quiet," Katerina said, her eyes flicking momentarily to the stairs. "He's coming down."

"Hey, Kat," Eren said through a yawn, his long arm reaching in a stretch to scratch his head. "Captain Levi."

"You're late brat, I-" Levi stopped abruptly in the middle of his sentence when he felt Katerina deliver a swift kick to his shin. He narrowed his eyes at her with his lips in a thin line.

Eren did not miss Katerina's interjection and his face grew flush as he sat down to begin his breakfast. "I'm sorry Captain, I was just so exhausted from yesterday. More than exhausted, I'm so mad at myself for not being able to transform properly yesterday. I don't know what's happening."

Katerina gave him a reassuring smile as she handed him back his pants. "All finished, Sweets."

"It's alright Eren," Connie interjected, walking back over to the table after he finished his dishes. "While I hope that you'll be able to recover your abilities, all I really care about is killing the Beast Titan that demolished my town. Unless you can do that, I wouldn't even sweat it. I don't even need you for that, I hope that I can kill that son of a bitch myself."