XXXVI

↱"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."

-Bob Marley.

that same night

LATER THAT DAY, Queen Historia and her advisors had decided that the leaders of the various branches would join together in a military ceremony to bestow medals of honor on what remained of the Survey Corps.

The Survey Corps had never seen this kind of gesture since their conception, and Katerina was just saddened by the fact that the real heroes, the ones who had sacrificed their lives, wouldn't be there for the glory.

They didn't do what they did for the glory, but that didn't mean they didn't deserve it.

But, Katerina had stayed silent during the ceremony meant to honor them, knowing that at that particular moment it was best to keep her mouth shut.

She bowed with grace as Historia bestowed upon her a medal of valor, she nodded solemnly when she referenced the fallen soldiers, and she bit her tongue when they acknowledge the fallen Erwin Smith.

The Scouts were huddled in a corner after the ceremony, allowing Levi and Hange to make pleasantries with the other military officers, while they kept silently to themselves.

Aside from Floch, the rest of them were not used to all the attention and many of them felt that they didn't deserve a ceremony to award them for a job they found honor in doing.

Other soldiers from the branches had decided to watch the ceremony, even though they weren't required to, but some had friends that had switched over to the Survey Corps.

A lot of them felt saddened by their friends' deaths, others felt guilty for not having the bravery to join them, and the rest were simply relieved that they had not met the same fate.

Leaving with hundreds of soldiers only to return with ten was something that was sure to put off anyone's interest in joining their branch.

Squad Levi were all awkwardly twiddling with their thumbs- anxious at the eyes that swept over them like they were a group to Pitt. Until Hitch- Marlo's close friend and somewhat ally to the Scouts' during there time on the run- walked up to them.

Her short mousy brown hair had grown a bit since the last time they had seen her, and her cheeks were covered with faint remnants of tears.

"You guys..." she began, trailing off as she looked nervously at the floor. "You guys are heroes. I'm sorry I didn't realize that before. I feel foolish for trying to talk Marlo out of joining you. I know that he died with honor."