XXI

↱"Distrust is like a vicious fire that keeps going and going, even put out, it will reignite itself, devouring the good with the bad, and still feeding on empty

"Distrust is like a vicious fire that keeps going and going, even put out, it will reignite itself, devouring the good with the bad, and still feeding on empty."

-Anthony Liccione.

later that night/ back at headquarters

AFTER THEIR EMOTIONAL AFTERNOON, Levi and Katerina returned to the Survey Corps headquarters, hand in hand, and met with a flurry of questions. Levi was immediately whisked away by Erwin to more meetings and Katerina indulged the kids as much as she could before she felt the need to escape to the showers.

On her way back to her room, with her hair dripping with bare feet, clad in a pair of grey sweats with one of Levi's sleeping shirts, she wanted to smack herself.

"I am intelligent, capable, and have killed more Titans than I can count, but I still can't find my damn way around this building!" she screeched to nobody in particular, swearing that she had just been down this hallway.

She was about to turn down another hallway, hopefully, to be on her way to her room, until she heard the unmistakable sounds of strategy discussions coming from a small hotheaded captain.

Curiosity got the best of her as she made her way closer to the door, lucky that it was slightly cracked. She looked ridiculous, soaking wet and barefoot, crouched down peering through the door.

Erwin and his officers were sitting around a table discussing Grisha.

"I think he was onto something," Hange said, ruffling through papers on the desk. She had bags under her eyes and looked like she hadn't slept in days. "He was just like the rest of them; Reiner and Bertholdt, but instead of being against humanity, he wanted to help us."

"Well, we know that Grisha was adamant about getting Eren back to the basement," Levi said, picking at his cuticles with a tremendous amount of disinterest. "So, that's where we need to go. Erwin?"

"It sounds like a plan," Erwin said, smiling as he nodded his head at Levi. "And we all remember the syringe that Levi was given?"

All the officers nodded their heads in unison. With that, they were all dismissed, and Katerina lunged herself behind an open door, hoping to conceal her presence. When she looked over the door, she realized that Levi hadn't left and that he had shut the door for his private conversation with Erwin.

"Crap," Katerina said, scurrying out of her hiding spot and pressing her ear against the door to see if she could hear anything.

Katerina trusted Levi with everything she had; she knew that if this meeting held important information regarding the kids or herself, that he would tell her in due time. He would never intentionally do something that would put her in harm's way.