Chapter 27 - Angel with fists

After Cody had calmed down a little bit, Romeo thought it would be best to leave us alone for now, that fucker. We just confessed our fucking love for each other and he decided to make a run for it. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he regretted saying that or even just hearing it from me, but that wasn't who Romeo was. He really just wanted to give me and my brother some emotional space, as this whole drama was kind of just between us. Well and mom. And my past. And him

But Cody needed to be comforted and as much as he loved Romeo as a best friend, he needed to deal with this alone for now. Romeos generous, but also clouded in back-thoughts, offer, that he would basically be my personal bodyguard, nearly made my heart explode from all the love I felt for him. Sure I was a tough guy and I could fight if needed, but how sweet was it of my boyfriend, to find a way to not only care about my safety and protect me, but also so I get to spend a lot of time with him and only him, without anybody, especially Cody, getting suspicious. 

But still, Cody as well as I, needed a day to recover and so we decided to spend our Sunday to bond a little bit. It ended up being actually quite nice. We used to do that a lot when we were younger and our parents were out on a date. Just the two of us, a lot of junk food, maybe some fun fighting around, playing a little bit of football in the backyard and watching movies all night. We used to be great friends and we still are, but for a little bit, we had lost that somewhere between the age of 14 and 16. 

Cody found his own friend group and although I'm just a year younger and we were on the same football team, on school grounds we didn't talk much. And at home, I hung out with my friends from the team and he hung out with his, but not much at our house. He mostly spend his days at party after party or tried to study as much as he could, so he could still make our parents proud. Mom was proud of the both of us but dad... thats something different. Sometimes our friend groups overlapped and we found ourselves at the same party or the same restaurant, but then we didn't fight. We just didn't really talk to each other that much. The incident actually brought us closer together. He still blames himself for not being there for me and stopping it. But he really shouldn't. Nobody could have seen that coming, not even me. 

We watched "Die hard" all night long, as Cody insisted, that it was late November and almost Christmas and "Die Hard" was a - and I quote- "cool" Christmas movie. It was actually a lot of fun and we joked around a lot, like we were actually friends and didn't have a care in the world. We also decided, to not tell mom about the texts, because it would only worry her and she wasn't able to help anyway. Right now, she should focus on her new job and starting our life here and until we would know for sure, if I was in any danger or not, it was best, to let her believe everything was going back to normal.

 I also couldn't deal with another overreacting person in my life. Cody had already drained all my energy as I tried to calm him down the other day. Romeo had announced, that he would drive me to school Monday morning, even though that wasn't very necessary, since I was sharing a ride with Cody anyway. His official reason, was, that it would be better to start spending a lot of time together sooner rather than later, so it wasn't too awkward. Cody believed him, that idiot. 

So Monday morning I hurried downstairs, quickly grabbing my coffee to go and a bagel, kissing my mother goodbye and smacking Cody, just for fun, before running outside to Romeos black old timer, that quickly became one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. Not because it was a cool car, I didn't really care much about the ride per say. But it smelled like Romeo, reminded me of him and everything about it just screamed his personality. I felt safe whenever I was sitting in those comfortable leather seats right next to him. Romeo was sitting on the drivers side, leather jacket and shades on, looking as cool as ever. I was about to lean in for a kiss, when I heard the front door open again and Cody sprinting to our car in the driveway, after waving us goodbye.