Chapter 36: Exposed

As Mallix finish typing up the statements he sent them over to James via email. Having finished his task and seeing as Kaila was still asleep, Mallix smiled deviously heading towards Lain, who was continuing to work on Kaila's present.

"Babe," he dragged out wiggling his eyebrows as he walked behind her putting his strong arms over hers, "I've finished those papers now, and the baby's still sleeping." He kissed her neck.

But his moment was cut short as he was interrupted by a call. Lain laughed already knowing who could be calling and continued to work on her dress, "seems like someone else needs you more."

But Mallix hung up, "he can wait. Now you said after I finished and if Kaila was still asleep, we could" he paused tilting her head towards him before locking lips.

Their moment was memorable, until yet again Mallix's phone began to go off, and from the corner of his eye he could see Kaila stirring awake from the noise. He quickly silenced it before checking that Kaila was still asleep.

"Babe, would you please just get that. This can wait." Mallix growled annoyed before sighing defeated. He stepped out into the open area of the floor before calling the number back.

M: What do you want twerp?!

J: Why weren't you answering my calls!

M: I'm sorry to break it to you man but I've actually got a life outside of work! Unlike you. Now what's so urgent that you had to keep calling me? Why couldn't this wait?

J: Because man it's something about Kaila.

Mallix's face instantly went cold and white. James voice got deep and Mallix nervously answered back.

M: What are you talking about? What about Kaila?

J: How did you find this girl, Mallix?

M: That's none of your business, now tell me what is going on!

J: Answer my question dude! You guys could be in some serious trouble!

The nervous sweat on Mallix's forehead increased, his heart rate went up, and he could feel his whole body tense up. He knew this wasn't going to be good, and more importantly he knew this wasn't going to be good for his baby girl. Quickly, he ran through a very brief run through of how him and Lain found and got Kaila, and then the line went quiet.

Lain was working away on the dress occasionally peaking over to see her little girl fast asleep peacefully in the swing. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY KNOW?!" She jumped out of her skin hearing her husband yelling in the main quarters. He had shouted with such anger and irritation in his voice, Lain knew it wasn't good whatever was going on.

But before Lain got the chance to run out and see what was the matter, she was preoccupied with a now startled awake crying baby.

She grabbed Kaila out of the swing placing the crying girl on her hip. She had begun to sway and bounce the small girl. "Shh, stop crying now cutie. Mommy's got you, your safe...Please calm down Kaila your ok...your ok." The sweet perfume of the tall woman and her soothing voice helped put Kaila's mind at ease.

Once Kaila was calm, Lain took a seat with her in her lap on Mallix's office chair. Times like this they were grateful to have conjoined offices that they could go between.

Kaila laid across the taller woman's lap, hiding her face deep into her chest finding the most comfort there. Taking deep breathes of Lain's natural scent helped the rest of the way. Moments later a burning red Mallix walked back in.

His eyes were wide open seeing Lain cradling their small girl who still was a little red from crying earlier. He mouthed over to her "sorry" before walking away.

He returned less than a minute later with a pacifier and Mr. Tuffy in hand. "Hey baby, can you look at me for a second." He held the soft material up to Kaila's lips, who happily accepted the object printed with moon and stars over the front of it. "Look who I've got precious." He held the bear out to her and it wasn't long before she began making grabby hands for the bear.

Mallix smiled down at her brightly before passing over the small bear. Kaila immediately pulled it to her face. "Can you do me a favor please baby?" Mallix asked softly.

Curiously Kaila nodded her head. "Can you go outside for a second and play with your toys while I talk to mommy? It'll only be a second sweetie."

She looked up between the two giants feeling left out, but nodded nonetheless. Lain put her down on the floor, and the couple watched holding back in their adoration as the small girl crawled her way out of the room.

As soon as she was out of sight and they could no longer hear her crawling on the hard floor, Mallix looked back at Lain who now had a worried look plastered all over her face. "What was that?!"

He grabbed her shaking hands in his squeezing them to offer some comfort, but mainly to calm his own nerves that were off the chart, "James said someone called the station after we left..." He paused trying to compose himself, but it wasn't working. A tear had slipped his eyes which only worried Lain more.

"What?! Babe just tell me, your scaring me?!" She pleaded with him, her own tears spewing left and right out of her eyes.

He went to say it only to find his voice gone. He cleared his throat closing his eyes and tried again, only to be stopped again. Lain could see him struggling and pulled him into a tight hug. They both rested their heads on one another's shoulders.

Very quietly in her ear Lain could hear Mallix trying to clear his voice again. She closed her eyes trying to stop her waves of fear filled tears from coming out.

"H-he said...someone ca...called reporting Kaila as...as..." he kept breaking down finding himself unable to finish his statement.

"Please t-tell me, w-what i-is it?!" Her voice was trembling as well.

"A-as...a m-miss...m-missing p-person." He managed out in time before he couldn't hold back anymore. Mallix was strong both mentally and physically but the news he was rained down with was slicing through his heart.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off