Epi. 1

I rub my lotion onto my legs and my feet. Tonight is finally quiet, for something that is settling for others, is somewhat it's unsettling for me. As soon as I get a job out of this low ran daycare, I swear I'm gonna move to the middle class side of Cali and become a elementary teacher. At the reality looks of it, I'm going to end up being a teacher around here. It's always nice schools that hire the teachers that had gone to a all white schools in the suburbs. I sigh, abuela needs me to help with the Halloween fiesta for the children. I push myself off the bed and I'm about to head out of my room.

I mentally scold myself for forgetting to lock my windows and having my blinds open; even though my room is hidden there's one certain angle outside- you can see everything in my room (including me). I go to my window and I gasp in embarrassment. A Santos is sitting in his car calmly smoking a joint. His eyes flicks up at me and a wink is what he sends before driving off. I feel sick to my stomach and violated. How long was this man watching me. I should be mad, but I should've been aware of my surroundings. I cannot go around doing that, especially in Freeridge of all places. I walk to the living room and help abuela with the goodie bags till it gets late. We have more than enough for tomorrow, I hope the children will love it though. Abuela used to own the daycare till mi tío divided the employees from the business and ever since it's been on our backs to carry it. Abuela wants me to take it when it's passed down to me, but the lifestyle here it too depressing and it just makes me want to decline. When she passes it will be in the hands of me, mi tía is managing for Abuela now. Though I have one dream to get out of here and never come back with Abuela. I'll never understand why she won't budge from here.
-
I place the barrel looking Juice in order on the table. Abuela had the kids sitting down watching scary godmother and eating candy corn in a party bowl. The bell rings up front and I put down the napkins. I walk in the room to see and teenage boy with a little boy and girl picking in their nose. I try to hide the disgusting feelings from my face and be professional.

"Hello how can I help you?" I ask politely.

"Ugh- yeah I need you to take in these kids please." He nervously stutters out.

My brows pull together, what is this kid doing with kids. I cross my arms and stare at him trying to get something out of him.

"Look how much does it cost for them to be watched till ten?"

My jaw drops at what he said. Is this boy out of his mind that's when the daycare closes.

"What are you up to Chico?" I question directly.

He scratches the the back of his neck. I can see sweat collect on his forehead and a vein too. What the hell?

"Look please I'll explain later just watch them!" He stresses .

I sigh and glance at the kids. They seemed to be okay, I hesitantly nod and he rushes out of the building. I walk from the desk and kneel in front of them.

"Hello I'm Miss.Ortega." I say to the kids

I bring the kids with the class and set up extra for them.
-
It's 11am and I'm nervous I told abuela to go ahead and take the car home before the sun could be out of reach. I'd be damned if something happens to her. I glance over at the door getting excited every time I'd see a car pass by. I wasn't the only annoyed person, even the twins looked like that while watching land before time. I don't want to even think of the worst. What if that boy was the father and he pinned the kids on me. I think it's best to call the cops, but I should ask the kids what happened to their dad. I get up, but the front door bust open with a lady that is in a mental breakdown mode.

"Where are my babies!!"the lady cries

And before I can help her, the twins run over to her happily. When the twins touch her it physically shows how relieved she is. The effect kids can have on you, that's what I crave. I can't wait to meet someone and have that joy. She slams money on the nook and leaves without a word. And I can hear her catching up with them and apologizing to them. What the hell just happened. I look over at the clock and groan I have to lock up and walk a mile and a half back home. I grab my things and pepper spray for creeps. I shut off all the lights and lock up. The night is warm since it is August, but rain is pouring at a normal rate. I adjust my purse on my shoulder and listen out while walking under my umbrella.

God what a day! A hot shower sounds so good right now. I rub the crook of my neck, the knot in the muscle in my neck is a pain in the ass. I quickened my pace when a low growl sound from a Santos car starts to creep behind me. I nervously grip my pepper spray in my hand and look over my shoulder to see my stalker again. My heart skips and I pick up my pace from the pervert. The red car pulls up to me going at my pace and I feel like I have a gun to my head. I have alway made sure to steer clear of gang around here and yes I've gotten catcalled by them, but this one has no mercy.

"Hey my fault for yesterday but you have a good body Princessa." He says as if that was a apology.

I nod and keep on walking getting more anxious over the fact that a Santos is this close to me.

"Look no funny shit...unless you're down-" I intrude.

"I would never do anything like that." I blurt.

Shit my big mouth is going to get me killed. I nervously bite the inside of my cheek, but to my surprise he lets out a couple of laughs out.

"Wow she speaks- now as I was saying you need a ride." He offers.

I stop dead in my tracks and so does the car. He seemed to not be like the other gangbangers. He still had a wall up, but if you look really- really hard you'd see a human being. I hesitated but I get in the car desperately. Walking by myself at night is scary but imagine it being in the dangerous side of town. I buckle up and the car stars to move .

"I assume you know where I live." He chuckles at what I said.

"Ah she can make a sentence now." He looks over at me.

One thing got my attention his teardrop. My stomach plummets and my head spins around that I'm in a car with a murder. Even though my body is rushing with heat, I still have a cold sweat. What if he is trying to make me one of his other victims. He notices where my eyes are shooting at and he sharply inhales turning his head.

"I'm not trying to hurt you I'm simply trying to help." He reassures pointlessly.

The car moves steadily and the atmosphere is dead quite.

"So que tu nombre?" He starts trying to make conversation.

I felt sick and stupid. I knew getting in a car with a Santos was a bad idea and if he knows my name he'll be able to pin me. I bite my bottom lip nervously, but his big hand lands on my tensed  shoulder .

"Rosalia!" I blurt.

He chuckles at me. God did I feel like I was a mouse in a lions paw. He wasn't afraid to kill, so what makes me so sure I'll be back home safe and sound. I didn't even notice disappearance weight of his hand. I silently inspect the man. His head is shaved bald and he has perfect arched eyebrows which sets a tone to his face. The tone being mysterious and serious. He has a clean cut of facial hair and a cross tattoo on his neck. His brown eyes are dull and dark yet the studded earrings took the attention away from that.

"Rosalía. I'm Spooky." He say with a tougher attitude.

Spooky fits him just right. In the right angle you can see that a spook is just a fear you create yourself , but it can also be caused by a person. The car abruptly stops and I see that I'm in front of my house. I feel bad that I've treated him like he isn't human.

"Would you like to come inside?"

Please say no, please say no, please say no!

"Can't but hold that offer for me when you're abuelita isn't home." He smirks.

My eyes widen and I quickly thank him for the ride and leave him in his car.