Chapter 9: Latebloomer

You stood in front of a silver briefcase. Today is the day of the raid. Multiple soldiers exited their vans wielding quinques in their hands. You were around the back standing next to Suzuya.

A shot from the building started the battle between Aogiri Tree and the CCG. Since they couldn't break through their defense, Suzuya rode a motorcycle which belonged to one of the higher up's and shot every one of them dead on the second or third floor. The owner of the motorcycle angrily yelled at Suzuya for "killing" his motorcycle. You swore you heard a hint of sadness in his voice.

You opened up the briefcase and held the quinque in your hands. It was a sword quinque with a nice feel to your hands. You were told that the quinque was made from the ghoul you killed a few days ago. You slashed it through the air, almost killing one of the nearby soldiers who looked at you with fear.

Once the entrance was free of ghouls, the rest of the soldiers barged their way in with loud thumps of their footsteps to alert the ghouls in the rest of the building that the CCG is here.

You walked your way in as well. Although Amon told you to follow the rest of the group, you went elsewhere to find Kaneki. You somehow heard a scream nearby and ran as fast as you can. When you entered the room, a splash of warm red blood splattered on you.

You saw a figure from a distance, eating another ghoul. His hair grew a beautiful white color and his nails are black. You bravely walked right in front of him. You knew he was Kaneki but you didn't care. He looked at you with no sign of surprise and was unusually calm.

He was...different. Not in terms of appearances even though he looked hot. It was something about his behavior that changed.

"Kaneki-san," you held tightly to the quinque in your left hand and put your right hand out to him. "Let's go home."

He turned away from your hand and wiped the blood from his mouth. "I can't go with you."

You didn't quite understand his words. Was there a reason why he can't go with you? At the bottom of his feet laid an unconscious ghoul and you could sort of saw his insides. (Ew).

"With this strength..." you heard him mutter. "With this strength...I can protect the ones around me."

"What strength?" You quietly murmur to yourself as you looked at how disgusting the unconscious ghoul was. Then you looked at Kaneki's feet. His nails turned black and the different layers of skin showed how many times he regenerated.

He was tortured here...

Kaneki cracked his fingers. He has never done that before. He was leaving out for the door and before you realized it, he was completely out of sight. Kaneki was not with you anymore.

"...does that mean you're breaking up with me, Kaneki-san?" You knees dropped down to the pool of blood.

This is complete nonsense. What happened? What happened in those couple of days we weren't together...?

You felt your head thumping. Spinning. Splitting. Pounding. Pain. Pain. Pain. Pain. Pain.

Unconsciously, you screamed as loud as you could. You couldn't even hear yourself. Both of your hands were holding to the side of your head.

You felt as if you were going back to the person you were once before. The class representative that everyone relied on; a boring life, without love. People would ask you to do everything for them and you just nodded in agreement since that was the type of person you were. People were nice. However, you know that they just befriended you so they can get out of school earlier. You were always the one helping the other one out. You never said no. You would always stay behind to do the class duties.