Chapter 8: The Raid

You arrived back at home around ten at night. You found it quite weird that the lights were on in the kitchen. When you walked in, you found your mother sitting there sipping coffee with a black picture frame in front of her.

"Mom?" you cried out. You could tell that she cried from her red swollen eyes. You took a look at the picture frame. It was a picture of your smiling father.

"M-mom...don't tell me..." You managed to stutter it out. Your mother slammed the table hard which surprised you and slapped your face, hard. You touched your stinging face and watched your mother scream with anger.

"Yes! Your father died! The one who adopted you died! For goodness sake, I told him not to adopt you! And because of you, he kept worrying about you to the point where he died a pointless life!" She shouted and shouted. "I heard that you weren't going to school either! Were you fooling around while he died?!"

You stood there unable to believe what you heard. Adopted? You were adopted? Was that the reason she was always hard on you?

"Get out." she started to push you out the door. "Get the fuck out of my house!" She slammed the door hard enough to wake up the neighbor's dog. You dropped to the ground and banged on the door. "Mom! Mom! Please open up! Let's talk about this!"

Bang bang.

"Mom! Open up!"

A couple minutes passed and she didn't come out. "Mom..." You leaned your back against the door and looked at the night sky. Your tears had already dried up and you were shivering in the cold.

Winter was approaching and you walked along the sidewalk. No one was in sight which was perfect for you. You didn't want anyone to see your swollen eyes. Going to Kaneki's was an option but you didn't want to bother him again when you had just left his place.

You wandered around town and hid away from the policemen patrolling around with their flashlights. You didn't find the night scary at all. Heck with the ghouls, you felt like you can kill them if you want to. It felt like hours had passed yet the sun had not risen up yet. You were feeling hungry and you had no money at all. Where should you go? You don't know. All you could do was to wait for the sun to come up and wait for the darkness to fade away.

"Ah, you're the one from before!" You flinched on your hiding spot and slowly turned toward the voice.

"Suzuya-san?" You were very surprised. You figured that no one should be able to be here in the middle of the night especially when it was this dark.

"You know, you did a nice job finishing that ghoul! I respect you for that! We had been searching for you for days, y'know."

"Searching for me?" Your voice was in pieces. If they were searching for you, that would mean that they had been investigating your background information. And if they went to your house when your mother was home, you could tell why she exploded her anger twice more than usual. "Why would you that?" you mumbled out, hoping that he couldn't hear.

Unfortunately for you, Suzuya has great hearing and great vision under the circumstances he went through and heard through your mumbling. "It's because you're strong. Although I would have liked it if I fought him."

You were surprised by his words. "I'm strong...?" How could you be strong? You did nothing but try to hide behind everyone's back.

A really sweet smell attracted your attention to look up. A very faint smell was coming from Suzuya. The more you sniff, the stronger it got. You covered your nose with both of your hands. "What's happening....?!" You swallowed your saliva. You were thinking that Suzuya smells delicious but you quickly shook the thought away. There was no way that you just had the thought of cannibalism. A bit of drool dripped from the side of your lips. Maybe you were just hungry? Then you realized that you had already bit Suzuya's hand. You quickly backed away from him and your stomach growled. Your face immediately went red from embarrassment.

He stared at you for a second, making you think that he will kill you for the weird behavior but he linked your arms together. "Anyways, let's go!" He dragged you all the way to the CCG Headquarters. You were still barefoot so every step you took bruised your feet but you didn't complain about it.

"(Last-name)." You faced Amon while sitting on a couch with a blanket wrapped around you. "One question. Why are you dressed like that and barefooted?"

You stayed silent as you remembered your mother's voice echoing inside your head. "Well, that doesn't matter. Seeing that you followed Suzuya, are you saying that you are willing to join us?"

You still stayed silent. If you joined the CCG now, you will feel like you betrayed Kaneki. You thought about it for a while. You could spy for the CCG and bring back information about their plans for the rest of Anteiku.

"Yes," you answered. Amon nodded at your decision. "With your skills, we add to our advantages that we will win with our battle with Aogiri Tree."

"Aogiri Tree?" you asked. You didn't know what he meant.

"Yes, we recently found their hideout. Aogiri Tree is a group of ghouls and there's a high ranking ghoul called the One-Eyed Owl. If you could, we would like you to fight with us as a soldier."

"Sure." You said without hesitating. "I would love to see how the CCG works."

Amon stayed silent. "However, you do know that people will die during this raid, right? People would risk their lives in order to fight back these evil ghouls."

"Oh...sorry about that. I shouldn't have said it too enthusiastically..."

"It's fine. Just don't lose your life. The raid will be in two days." He got up and left the room.

------------

After you took that one day off sleeping, you dressed up with new clothes from the CCG the next day. As usual, you headed down to Anteiku hoping to be welcomed with the smell of roasting coffee and Kaneki's face. However, once you got there, the sign on Anteiku's door said "closed" . You tried turning the doorknob and it was locked. A smell attracted you to turn towards the back door. Luckily for you, it was unlocked. However, the sight in front of you shocked you. During that day you took a day off from visiting Kaneki, there was a bloody mess filled with different scents of blood. "What happened here..?" You traced the following blood on the floor with your finger. The blood told you that it happened yesterday.

You heard some movements upstairs. "Kaneki-san?" You walked towards the stairs but was pulled back with a hand over your mouth. "T-Touka..?"

"Tsk. It's just you..."

"What happened here?" You asked her as she made a bitter face. She was injured too. Like you saw in the main area, Touka must have been here the time it happened.

"Where's Kaneki-san...?" Touka stayed silent. She let go of you and sat down on the stairs.

"You already knew didn't you?" She looked at you while brushing her bangs to one side. "What we are..."

You nodded. "Even so... I still want to be with him. Where is he?"

"No. You especially should stay out of this." Touka stood in your way and blocked the exit. "Humans should stay out of this. He wouldn't want you to get hurt either. We will take care of his problems so just stay back and do nothing. Alright?"

You could see her eyes turn dark red. She was serious in stopping you. For a moment, you thought her back spread a beautiful shade of red and purple wings in front of you.

Something came over you. Somehow you just knew the answer without asking. "Aogiri Tree...," you muttered. Touka heard you and turned her head with a surprised look. "W-why do you know that..."

It was Aogiri Tree... You quickly ran out the door as fast as you could. You looked back to see if Touka would be chasing you but she wasn't there.

"Aogiri Tree.... Aogiri Tree...!" Now you have no choice but to wait until the day of the raid.

"Don't worry, Kaneki-san... I'm going to come soon..!"

------------------

Thank you very much for reading and getting me 5k reads for this fanfic!! I'm sorry that I haven't been updating lately... I think this chapter was sort of boring and I kind of ran out of ideas....ahaha. But don't worry, the next chapter will probably have more action. :)

Don't forget to vote, comment, and add this to your reading list.