When Will They Stop?

Voices emanated from each part of the hallway, groups chatting, surveyance workers attempting to spread information from the State. Hushed whispers mingled with them as the fierce and outspoken loud speech intertwined with the soft, opinionated and cautious words of the ones refusing to reveal their views too loudly.

"I can't believe people would do something this rebellious! What were they thinking, going against the State like that!?"

"I don't know who did this, but if I ever find someone involved, I am going to hit them and report them immediately - they should all be disposed! Don't they understand how difficult my job is going to be now!?"

"How long will this go on for? That is the question we need to be asking ourselves. Not how the State will control this, just how long it's going to go. That's it."

"This could be a good thing. The State has always been tough and controlling... Maybe this is some sort of indication to band together and take a stand."

"Who would dare to do something this outrageous?! I mean, the bravery!"

"I just don't understand how something like this could have happened so quickly... It must be a group of people."

"If they've removed bombs and guns, what will they go after next? Us? This is a time for us to  hunt down and kill these vigilantes before anything worse happens!"

"What's happening to our country, our lives!? Must we force ourselves to survive in such an abominable environment? No! It's time we took a stand! It's time for us to support the State further! It's time we took a stand and killed the people destroying our lives!"

"How long before the State starts searching our houses?"

"Why is this happening to us?"

The population had found out. It had taken less than a day for the rumours to spread before everyone knew about the disappearance of bombs and guns. It had gotten past the stage where the population was concerned with whether or not the rumour was true, and on to the ethics,  agreements and disagreements surrounding it. 

Richard sighed. Always the same. Humanity was always the same. The society was like a machine, always spitting out the same answer each time. Hitching his bag up, his pace quickened, head lowered to stare at his plodding feet beneath him. 

The buildings shifted, becoming brighter as light began to stream from the outside. As voices blurred together into a crumbled mess, grass and bushes began separating brick and stone. He had reached the outside. And it was invigorating. Great, tall trees filled with green undertones occupied the space, accompanied by the happy screams of playing children and exhausted women trying to keep up. Men juggled toddlers and toys, smiling and laughing as they entertained each other.

Richard sighed again. The 'happy park' was all a facade. The fake trees and bristling plastic grass - real nature couldn't be found in working facilities - were all an illusion of State calculated control. There was tangible nature available, but far away from workplaces as, according to the State, it distracted from the necessity of war work. Why did they place plastic objects to form a park here? For the children. Working parents had children to occupy. And they couldn't do work whilst occupying children. With long hours and occasional breaks, the children stayed in the park, visited by State authorised carers. 

Dodging through the mass of adults and children, he kept his head low and waded through the park until the outskirts became visible. Hurrying over the last blades of plastic grass, he arrived at the edge, close to the buildings. Scanning their tops, his eyes wavered over letters and numbers until finally, they stopped at the head of a darker building, on the words 'Chem785 - Etur'. He smiled.