Smoke

What a surprise! She was back on the battlefield... Back in the midst of dirt and bl-

She couldn't breathe. 

It was burning. Inside her. 

Heat. 

Heat. 

Pain. 

The pain was burning. Deep in her chest.

A small tendril growing larger by the second.

And it burnt deep.

And it hurt deep.

Her body bent in two, her hand frantically clutching her chest.

Where was it? Why was it there? Get it out.

Get it out!

GET IT OUT!

A scream in her head.

A scream of pain.

Who was screaming?

Her mouth shot open, air shooting out, emptying, as her throat, her lungs, clutched and clawed at the air, at the air... There was no air.

She couldn't breathe.

She couldn't breathe!

Where was the oxygen?

Her mouth searched. Her tongue flicked out. It tasted bitter. It tasted burnt.

She was burnt.

She was burning.

Her chest heaved, water dripping from every pore. Water trailing down her forehead. Water staining her cheeks. Water clogging her stinging eyes.

She couldn't see.

She couldn't breathe.

She was on the battlefield, right? Right? Why couldn't she breathe?

She was going to die. This was it. She was going to die. The air was going to consume her. Everything was going to consume her.

That didn't make sense - she was a god. If she was a god, it meant she couldn't die. So, why was she feeling so much pain? Why did every millisecond hurt? Why was her existence traded for torture? Why was this pit of black and grey - She couldn't see! She couldn't see! - her demise?

Where was the air? 

Where did it go?

Come back!

She needed to move. She needed to get out of there. She needed to escape.

She couldn't see!

She couldn't feel her fingers.

Everything was fading.

Where did the black dots come from?

Where were her feet? Where did they go? Wasn't she supposed to walk with them?

She needed to move. Move. Move! MOVE!

Her legs stumbled forward, moving seemingly of their own accord. Where were they going? Come back! It was thicker. Everything was thicker. The air was thicker. The taste was thicker. She was drowning. Drowing in dry water. Was that possible?

No. No. No! Wrong way! Move back! Move back!

She stepped back. She turned around. And began moving back.