~Dodongo's Cavern~

Inside the cavern, Link and Navi came to a stop at a wall. Navi flew over to a Bomb Flower, Link's gaze following her. He moved over and picked it up, then placed it by the wall. He knelt down next to the bomb, watching it. Navi flew down, trying to push Link back.

"Link!" she cried.

"Hm?" he asked.

Before he could move, the bomb blew up. It knocked the two back halfway across the room. Link groaned as he sat up, Navi shaking her head. She took to the air and watched Link recollect his bearings. Once he was back on his feet, she flew through the opening. She stopped to look around the cavern, taking in the vast room.

Sitting across the room was a large, dead Dodongo. It's mouth was closed, but an indent in the ground looked about big enough for the jaw. In front of the Dodongo head was a Beamos. Two more sat on platforms on either side of the two. Three pillars rose from a pit of lava, making access to the platforms.

Without any second thoughts, Link jumped for the pillar to the platform, stopping near the edge. Navi flew to catch up with him and stopped at his side.

"What's that?" Link asked, pointing to the Beamos.

"It's a Beamos. If you're too close, it will hit you with a laser."

"Oh."

Link looked left and right, eyeing the different ways to go.

"Navi, which way do I go?" he asked.

"I think you should go right. That door to the left is blocked off, and I don't know how to open it. I looked in that cave over there, but there's just a Business Scrub in there."

Link nodded, then moved to the right pillar. He jumped over and stopped by the Bomb Flower. He looked to Navi, then picked up the bomb and threw it towards the Beamos. Once it hit, it blew. Link grabbed another bomb, then threw it toward the cracked wall. It broke, and he headed in.

He reached a hallway where Baby Dodongo's sprouted from the ground. He backed away, then slashed at each of them. They each made miniature explosions before disintegrating. They passed another cracked wall, but there were no bombs. So they continued forward.

Stepping into the next room, bars fell over the door, scaring Link. Two Lizalfos jumped down, the one to the right jumping across the fire pit to Link. He pulled out his sword, getting ready for battle. Navi flew above, keeping watch from there.

Link waited while the Lizalfos jumped around, studying him. After several minutes, the Lizalfos jumped forward. Link ducked, the Lizalfos's sword clanging off the Hylian Shield. Link moved forward as he stood, hitting the Lizalfos. It cried out and jumped back, watching Link again.

They continued this until both monsters were defeated. The bars rose from the doors, and Link headed to the next room. In there, they found larger Dodongo's walking around. Link easily defeated them, then came to a stop in front of a locked door. He frowned, then turned to Navi.

"Any ideas to open it?" he asked.

Navi looked around, flying through the room. She returned to Link and landed on his shoulder.

"Do you have a Deku stick?" she asked.

Link nodded and pulled it out.

"There's a fire over there, light the rest of the torches and maybe it'll open."

Link nodded, then moved to the other side of the room. He lit the stick, then ran forward, lighting the torches. Once the last torch was lit, the bars rose from the door.

Link quickly opened the door, then moved into the next room. He found himself back in the main room, a button in front of him. He stepped on it and watched the door across the room open up.

Navi flew forward, and he followed, cautious of the Beamos. There was a large staircase, but it was too high up. Around the staircase were bombs, with a single one by the wall.

"Hey Link, what if you have to blow the bombs to move the staircase down?" Navi asked.

Link shrugged, but picked up the bomb and set it in the space. He backed away and watched as the bombs exploded. As the last two went off, the staircase slid down into place. Once it settled, Link and Navi headed up.

In the next room was a button on a pillar surrounded by Armos. Fire Keese flew around the room, but didn't seem to be a problem yet. Navi flew up and pressed the button which opened the doors. They continued forward.

They found themselves in the main room, a ladder connecting across the room. They crossed it. In the next room, Navi stopped Link.

"Careful, there are traps around the corners! Look before you go!"

Link nodded, then jumped down. He rolled out of the way of a trap, scaring Navi. She flew down to his shoulder, where she landed. They kept going. Link bombed the wall, opening the entryway to the next room. There were two more Lizalfos, which Link took out quickly.

They left to the next room and came across a chest. Link opened it and found a bag inside.

"What's this?" he asked.

"It's a bomb bag, you can carry your own bombs now!"

Link smiled, then tied the bag to his belt. They moved on and found themselves near the head of the Dodongo. In front of them was a sign.

"'Giant dead Dodongo. When it sees red, a new way to go will be open.' What does that mean, Navi?" Link asked.

"Maybe we can do something to make the Dodongo's eyes red? What if we try throwing bombs in them? We could do it from that bridge over there."

Link nodded, then crossed the bridge. He made it to the middle, where two openings sat. He opened the bomb bag and lit one, then threw it down. It landed in the eye and exploded. After the explosion cleared, the eye turned red. Link did it again for the other eye which turned red.

Once both eyes were red, the jaw dropped, revealing a door. Link smiled up a Navi, then jumped down to the head. He jumped down to the jaw after, then headed in the door.

~ * ~