~Death Mountain Trail~

The sun was high in the sky when Link and Navi stepped past the gate. They made their way up a slope where they found a Tektite.

It shuffled to face Link, then began jumping. Link ducked. and the Tektite hit his shield. He stood and slashed at it before it could jump until it disintegrated.

Looking up the path, Navi spotted three more Tektites.

"There's three more ahead, Link. Be careful!"

Link nodded, then took off up the trail. He quickly took out the three Tektites, then stopped in front of a closed off cave.

Link looked up at the rocks and Navi read the sign.

"This place is Dodongo's Cavern. The sign says you can't enter without permission. It might be dangerous inside!"

"Maybe we'll get the ruby inside?"

Navi shrugged. The two turned and started up the path again when a rock shifted. Link jumped back as the rock grew arms, legs, then a head, and stood.

"What are you?" Link asked.

"I'm a Goron, a stone-eating person who lives on Death Mountain, goro. Why are you so surprised?"

"I didn't know what Gorons were until a few days ago. It's cool that you look like a rock!"

"Oh, thank you, goro!"

"Hey, how come that rock is in the cavern's way?" Navi asked.

The Goron looked up at her as he scratched his stomach.

"I don't exactly know. I've heard rumors that a little kid moved the rocks in place, goro. The others said it was a kid in green, kind like you! He had a fairy with him too!"

Link looked up at Navi, concern written on his face.

"Navi, what if that was Mido?"

"We gotta keep looking for him! He could be in danger!"

Link nodded, then looked back at the Goron.

"If you want more gossip, head up to our city, goro! Just keep heading up the trail and you'll find it."

"Thank you, Mr. Goron!"

He nodded, then curled up into a rock again. Link and Navi headed further up the trail. They came across another Goron, who stood when they neared. Link waved to him, but continued forward. The Goron waved back, then curled up again.

Further up the path, they came to an entrance. Without a second thought, Link headed in.

~ * ~