Lina was hooked up to an IV and a ventilator, just barely hanging on for dear life.  Her eyes were closed and young man and woman, who I assumed were her parents, sat on either side of her.

            “Who are you?” the woman asked, gazing up at me with watery eyes.

            “I’m a friend, I – “

            “A friend?  Who let you in here?” the man said, his voice deep and his tone harsh.

            “I…I let myself in.  I’m a volunteer downstairs, where Lina used to be.  I heard she was up here and I wanted to see how she was doing,” I said quietly.

            “She’s sleeping,” the woman said.  “And we don’t know if she’s going to wake up.”

            “I know how it is, and I’m so sorry,” I told her.

            “You don’t know,” the woman said.  “You never will.”

            “Actually, I do.  I have cancer too.  Started in the breast, then I was cancer free for awhile, but now it’s back.  I went hiking and passed out because my lungs were filled with fluid.  I’m doing chemo now.”

            “Oh..I’m so sorry,” the woman said sincerely.  “Had I known I wouldn’t have been so terrible to you.”  She started sobbing lightly.

            The man put his hand lightly over the woman’s and turned to me.

            “It’s been a rough week.  But you’re welcome to stay,” he told me.

            “Okay, thanks.  I’m Ella, by the way.”

            “I’m Ryan and this is Elizabeth.  We’re Lina’s parents.”

            “I thought as much.”

            And so we sat there for awhile in silence.  Soon Lina’s parents started asking about my story, and I answered them the best that I could. 

            I looked at my phone and realized that it was already three o’clock in the afternoon, and I was hungry. 

            “Ryan?  Elizabeth?” I asked, glancing over at them.  Their eyes rarely left Lina.

            “Yes?” Elizabeth replied.

            “I’m going to go get some food, from the café next door.  None of this hospital junk.  Do you want anything?”

            “Thank you Ella, but we’re fine,” Elizabeth responded. 

            “Alright, I’ll see you in a little bit.”

            “Bye Ella.  And thank you.”

            I decided not to take no for an answer, and so I bought Ryan and Elizabeth each a muffin and an orange juice, and I grabbed a chocolate chip cookie for Lina in case she woke up.  She had always told me those were her favorite food in the world.

            I stood in the lobby of the hospital to catch the elevator.  When the doors opened and I stepped inside, I took notice of the other person in the elevator.

            “Hi,” I said, looking down. 

            “Hello,” Nico said calmly.  He was dressed in scrubs and held a clipboard in his hands.