Chapter 16

Chapter 16

 "Well Ella, you're doing very well. We think now would be a good time to do a round of chemo, if you're okay with that."

If I was okay with that? Did I really have a choice in the matter anymore?

"Yeah, sounds good," I mumbled to Dr. Samuels, who was standing at the foot of my bed with Nico, both of them staring at me like I was a specimen under a microscope to be examined.

"Ella, don't worry. You did fine in surgery and you'll do fine with chemo. It's not like you haven't had it before," Liam explained.

"That makes me feel so much better about it," I shot back sarcastically.

"It's the best I could do, love," Liam told me, exhaling loudly. He used the pet name he had been using for a little while now. Love.

"Okay Ella, we're ready to go then," Dr. Samuels said.

And away I went to be scanned and poked once again.

***

"Here we are; home sweet home," Liam said, rubbing small circles on my back as he reached to unlock my door.

I had been released from the hospital that night after my last round of chemo. Let me tell you, I was exhausted. All I wanted was to go home with Liam, sit on the couch, and watch a movie with him. There were only a few slight problems; A, I couldn't wear a bra for a while until my stitches healed, which could be extremely awkward, and B, I had a houseguest.

Nico was perched on the couch in my apartment, watching a rerun of Jackass. When the door opened, he turned to greet us.

"Hey Ella...and Liam." Although they had once been friends, it was really quite awkward between Nico and Liam, and rightfully so; Nico had punched him in the face.

Under normal circumstances I would have run up and hugged Nico, but A, I was not wearing a bra, and B, Liam was standing right there.

"Hi Nico," I said, plopping down on the couch beside him. Liam gave me a slightly disapproving look, but Nico looked pleased.

"Elle...not to be rude, but you kind of look like shit." Classic Nico.

"That's low man. Ella, why don't you go and get washed up and ready for bed." That was my cue from Liam that he wanted to talk to Nico, man to man. And I trusted that Liam would be mature and responsible. Nico, not so much.

I grabbed a washcloth and wet it, then began rubbing slow circles on my face. Not being able to help myself, I slipped out into the hallway and listened to the conversation going on in the living room.

"Look, I know we've had our problems, but I'm ready to settle it if you are. I know what I did may have been stupid, but didn't you hear the doctor? She pretty much had it coming," Liam's voice half whispered from the other room.

"Yeah, and you just sped it up," came Nico's reply.

"That's beside the point. Are we cool man? I just want what's best for Ella. I really love her, and I know you do too."

"Yeah, I guess."

"Don't try anything stupid with her," Liam warned.