Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                  The first thing I did when I got home was go upstairs to my room and plop down on the bed. The last remnants of the kiss lingered on my lips, sweet and sticky like honey. I lay on my bed for a few minutes before getting up and heading back downstairs to talk to Aunt Jodi.

"Hey Ella, how was the beach? Didn't get too much sun, did you?" Aunt Jodi asked from the kitchen. For a rich, successful woman, she wasn't as spoiled as she could have been. Aunt Jodi preferred to cook all her own meals, even though strangely enough, she hated cooking.

"It was fun. I jumped off a pier," I said straight up.

"What? Why the hell would you do that?" Aunt Jodi asked, pausing her chopping for a moment.

"Because it looked like fun," I said. I couldn't tell her the truth; she'd think I was crazy.

Aunt Jodi grumbled in response.

"So...Liam kissed me today," I blurted out.

Aunt Jodi stopped what she was doing, put down the knife and walked around the kitchen island to sit down with me at the table.

"And..." she urged.

"And now...I don't know. I feel like I want to date him, but I'm only here for a month. It's not worth it," I replied. I tried to convince myself it was the truth, but it wasn't.

"Well, tell you what. Why don't you see where it goes and then decide later on? Just keep it to yourself for now," Aunt Jodi suggested.

"I guess. Maybe I'm just falling into this too quickly. I mean, it's the first time I've ever really felt special," I mumbled.

"You're a beautiful, special girl whether you know it or not."

"If by special you mean getting cancer before you're 20, then yeah, I'm pretty special," I said dryly. I sighed. "I just can't decide."

"Decide between what?"

Aunt Jodi and I both turned to see Nico standing in the doorway with a smug smile on his face.

"Between what kinds of ice cream I should send Mike to pick up. He's been lazing around all day and it gives me an excuse to get him out of the house and for me to indulge a bit," Aunt Jodi said, glancing at me.

"Oh. Well in that case, my vote is for anything with chocolate in it," Nico said, grinning. He walked to the fridge, grabbed a beer and then walked right out of the room. I waited until I heard Nico's footsteps stop at the top of the stairs before talking to Aunt Jodi again.

"Nice save," I said.

Aunt Jodi shrugged. "I thought so," she said, winking before returning to making dinner. "Dinner'll be ready in ten. Don't go far."

"'Kay," I responded before trumping back up the stairs to my room.

***

I figured it was a good time to review my bucket list.

1. Travel to Australia to visit Aunt Jodi

2. Jump off a pier

3. Fall madly in love

4. Get stuck somewhere fun at night

5. Learn how to ski

6. Feel beautiful