Chapter 4

Chapter 4

 Nico pulled Aunt Jodi's car up to the beach parking lot. Liam had given us directions on whereabouts to meet, and low and behold, he was waiting for us, leaning against his blue Jeep on the other end of the lot. Nico pulled Aunt Jodi's convertible into the spot next to Liam's and hopped out of the car. I followed suit, walking around to the other side of the car where the boys were standing. Liam was wearing a white tank top that hung off of his chest and fell down low on his back and under the arms, along with gray board shorts and brown flip flops. His blond hair was tousled, and I couldn't wait to again see his hair after a swim.

"Sweet ride Ella," Liam said, giving the car a good, long look over.

"Yeah, well, I'm surprised Aunt Jodi let Nico drive it," I said.

"Hey," Nico groaned, frowning. "I'm a good driver."

I patted him on the back. "You keep on thinking that."

"Listen guys – I've got a surprise for you," Liam interjected as he walked towards the back of the Jeep, gesturing for us to follow. He opened the trunk to reveal three surfboards.

"No way. I am not surfing," I protested, shaking my head.

Liam looked crushed.

"How come?" he questioned.

"Do you know how many surfers get their limbs bitten off by sharks?" I exclaimed.

Liam chuckled lightly to himself. It was a light, airy laughter, yet manly at the same time.

"There aren't sharks in the bay Ella. Mostly, people get attacked by Great Whites, and it's rare to see Great Whites in the bay," he explained.

"Rare, but still possible. And I've pretty much been unlucky my entire life. So I'm sorry, but I think I'll have to pass on this endeavor. You two go have fun."

"Suit yourself," Nico shrugged.

"Are you sure?" Liam asked, looking concerned.

"Positive," I said.

"Don't get too much sun," Nico warned, his doctorly instincts kicking in.

"Yes Doctor," I said. "There's a reason I brought an umbrella."

"Okay, good," Liam said, winking.

"You don't have to worry about me," I said before grabbing the beach bag and umbrella from the back of the car.

I set my little area up close to the beach. I lay my pink beach towel under the navy and white striped umbrella. The hazy sun was floating in the sky, mocking me with its tempting rays. From where I was sitting, I could see Nico and Liam in the waves.

I reached into my bag and unearthed my orange and red notebook. I opened it to the first page. On it was an old list, one for what songs I needed to get on my iPod. The newest list was near the middle of the book. The notebook's pages forcefully opened to that page, where I had taped in my wrinkled bucket list. I thought that maybe I needed to change a few things. What was I thinking putting 'jump off a pier' at the top of my list, when the truth was, I was scared shitless of the ocean?

I groaned and rolled onto my back. Maybe a nice nap would do me some good. I sprawled out on top of my gushy towel and let the sounds of children playing and waves splashing lull me to sleep.