Act Four

ACT IV

FADE IN:

INTERIOR. DEATH CHAMBER ON NION

DEATH CHAMBER VOICE

Take the sample to the Redirection Center. This one has been slated for reprogramming.

The FEMALE GUARD leaves with the cylinder used in the execution.

DEATH CHAMBER VOICE

Remove the corpse.

DISSOLVE TO:

INTERIOR. THE CLONING ROOM OF THE REDIRECTION CENTER

DOCTOR #1 and DOCTOR #2 are wearing black uniforms are working in the cloning room. The cloning room is filled with many large and small vats filled with a milky or other colored substance. Inside, each vat is a growing clone.

DOCTOR #1

How is your concubine?

DOCTOR #2 looks up from his work.

DOCTOR #2

Fine. She is working in food distribution. She loves the work she does for Nion. It fulfils her. And how is yours?

DOCTOR #1

Fine. She is working in power distribution. She loves the work she does for Nion. It fulfills her.

(pause)

As it does me.

There is a pause and DOCTOR #1, sternly and expectantly, looks over at DOCTOR #2

DOCTOR #2

(quickly)

Yes. As it does me.

DOCTOR #1

This one that is be reprogrammed. Tom Paris was his old name. Have they given him a new name?

DOCTOR #2

We have not received it yet.

DOCTOR #1

Well, we better get it soon. He is almost through the rebuilding and soon he will be ready for reprogramming. Go and see if his life is ready to be programmed.

DOCTOR #2

Yes, sir.

DOCTOR#2 leaves. DOCTOR #1 walks over to the dark figure in the vat that has a dark figure immersed in a thick, greenish liquid.

DOCTOR #1

(to the dark figure in the vat)

It has been too long since I've had the opportunity to reprogram someone. And you, my friend, are the one I was assigned to. This is exciting work. I get to mold you from nothing. Nothing. All for this wonderful nation of ours. You will be whatever I want you to be. Except, of course, your name and occupation. I will mould you into a responsible member of Nion society. You are the clay and I am potter. This is so exciting. I can't wait.

CUT TO:

EXTERIOR VOYAGER

Voyager is in high orbit around Nion.

CUT TO:

INTERIOR. BRIDGE

JANEWAY

Try it again, Mr. Kim. He has to be down there somewhere.

KIM

Yes, Captain.

KIM'S fingers press several buttons on his console.