Act Three

FADE IN:

INTERIOR. JULIE'S HOUSE EVENING

PARIS and JULIE are sitting before a monitor attached to one wall. PARIS is trying to say something. His lips are moving, pushing forward, but nothing comes out.

PARIS

I don't get it. I'm trying to say...

PARIS moves his neck slightly forward trying to speak.

PARIS

I want to say that...

PARIS moves his neck slightly forward trying to speak.

PARIS

I'm trying to say... something but it won't come out.

JULIE

Then it is something you are not meant to say. Do not try. You will only hurt yourself.

The monitor on the wall flickers and "MISSION" in black lettering with a white background appears.

JULIE

It is time for the mission.

PARIS

What is the—

PARIS and JULIA suddenly look blankly at the screen. They stand and speak at the same time.

PARIS & JULIE

(at the same time)

It is time for the mission. We stand for the nation of Nion. We stand for justice and obedience. We stand in allegiance to the nation of Nion. Through love and power to our and from our government...

PARIS stops speaking but continues staring blankly at the screen.

JULIE

... we procreate. Without lust but for love of Nion, we procreate this night. We are the chosen this night. We are the privileged this night. This night we procreate. Strength to Nion - our loving watchers.

The screen flickers and goes off. JULIE takes a can from a drawer and turns to PARIS.

JULIE

Here, Tom. You will need this. It is the fertilization foam. It will help us procreate for Nion.

PARIS continues to stare blankly into the screen.

JULIE

Tom?

JULIE puts the can down, grabs PARIS and shakes him.

JULIE

Tom, come out of it. Tom?

JULIE slaps him once, twice, three times. PARIS comes out of his daze and looks around.

PARIS

What's going on? Why are you slapping me?

JULIE

You were in the daze. It happens sometimes to those who have been redirected. It's time to perform the mission. This night we procreate for the nation of Nion.

JULIE takes the canister and hands it to PARIS. Stunned, he looks at it and looks at JULIE.

PARIS

(now angry)

I'm...

PARIS struggles with next word but gets it out forcefully.

PARIS

...not procreating for anyone but myself when I'm good and ready. It isn't...

PARIS struggles with next word but gets it out forcefully.