Chapter Forty

Morrigan emerged from the pool with a desperate gasp for air. Crimson droplets rained from the sky and dripped from her hair and robes, it covered her skin as if she didn't have any at all. Yet her gold eyes were distant, as if her soul had fled her body. She raised a hand in the air like she was gently touching the wings of an insect.

"What... have you... done..." Abelas groaned.

Immediately, Solas held out a hand and helped Abelas back to his feet. There was blood running down the side of his face, but the color was returning to his cheeks.

"A palaken shemlen defeated me. I failed Lady Mythal..."

Morrigan stumbled out of the pool, and water stories over the edges and started to drip it's way down to the grass that surrounded it.

"You will only fail her if you don't destroy the Wellspring, Abelas." Talyn told him.

She went to Morrigan, took her hand, and helped her down the steps that led to the Wellspring. The woman didn't so much as look at her.

"So much knowledge... There's so many voices."

"Focus on the one with the answers you seek." Talyn said to her quietly.

The air vibrated with the force of the rocks that came tumbling off the waterfall. Huge boulders crashed into the Wellspring, cracking the marble and marring the ruby surface. They piled on top of each other until all that was left was dust that hovered in the air.

When Talyn looked at Morrigan again, her eyes were clear, and focused on her. She met her gaze calmly, but she already knew that they were going to have a talk later.

"You're-"

"Keep your mouth shut. Now is not the time or the place." She whispered angrily in the human's ear.

She couldn't believe what Morrigan had just done. The woman was lucky that Mythal was already dead.

"You have ruined this sacred place, leave now or you will never see the sun again, Rasdalalen." Abelas rumbled menacingly.

Solas' rage was so fierce that his glamour melted away. The wolf burned through his snarling lips and in his glowing eyes. She could see patches of fur sprout in random places on his skin as he fought to keep his beast down. The ends of his fingers were black and pointed like claws. He lashed out at Abelas, and three streaks of red appeared across the elf's face.

Abelas stumbled backwards and fell with the force Solas had used. He held his armored hands to his face and moved to his knees. He bent over so his bloody hands and face were pressed into the earth.

"You forget your place, Abelas!"

"Solas." Talyn spoke gently, but her panicked eyes were on Cassandra and Varric, who were standing a ways away from them with shocked looks on their dusty faces.

Solas snapped out of it when she said his name. When he saw where she was looking, his glamour shone on his skin for a moment before settling. Magic was flung from his fingers that were no longer claws, and Talyn's friends dropped to the grass. She would have been concerned if it wasn't for the steady rising and falling of their chests.

Abelas didn't move from his cowering position, and Morrigan was still contending with the thousands of voices that were now in her head.

"Don't worry about them." Solas told her as he made his way over to the human and the dwarf.

"What are we going to do?"

How the hell did this happen? Now Morrigan knew the truth, and two others witnessed something that they weren't supposed to. Their secret was coming out whether they wanted it to or not.