Chapter Thirty-Eight

She didn't dream.

But every once in awhile she would wake up with her cheek pressed against a wooden floor, her wrists and ankles bound and a cloth tied around her mouth. She couldn't see anything but the flickering of torches and giant shards of red crystals. The only reason she knew she was in a cart was because a wheel hit a rock hard enough to make her bounce in the air, only to crash back onto the wood.

She was never conscious for long. Something in the shadows would stir, she'd feel a sharp pain, and then her dreamless sleep would take over again. So she had no way of knowing how much time had gone by.

When she woke up for the final time, she kept her eyes closed and remained as still as she could. This time, she was no longer in a cart. She was laying face down on rough stone.

Her eyes had been closed for so long that it was hard to keep them that way. Her head was pounding with the darkness. But she knew that if they saw she was awake, she would be put out again.

And just as she had that thought, she heard someone talk.

"Is the Imposter still out?"

That voice sounded vaguely familiar.

"Yes, Lord Seeker."

She thought back to Val Royeaux. The man who had hit that Chantry Mother, and refused Talyn's help.

"However..."

"What is it?" The Lord Seeker sneered menacingly.

"Are you sure it's wise to keep them all together like that, Lord Seeker?"

Talyn opened her eyes a fraction of an inch. She saw a familiar horned shadow slumped against the bars of the cage. She immediately shut her eyes again.

At least Bull was alive. What about the others?

"As long as the Imposter is asleep, they won't escape."

There was a pause, and then he started to talk again.

"I've heard rumors in the Fade of a creature like the Imposter. An elf that shines like a star, who betrayed her mistress for a wolf."

The blood froze in her veins.

How did he know that?

"But there have been other stories of her in this world. Rasdalalen they call her. Do you know what that word means?"

"No, Lord Seeker."

" In this world's sad excuse of what passes for elvish, it means assassin. But in the Old World, it meant soulless. I wonder which version of the word fits her the most."

" Lord Seeker... How do you know all of this?"

"None of your business!" He snapped.

She heard a cry of pain, and then whoever the Lord Seeker was talking to started to whimper. When their footsteps started to fade, she opened her eyes.

And found Iron Bull staring at her.

His blue eye searched the area, and then he grabbed the cloth keeping Talyn from talking and pulled it down.

"We're in the Arbor Wilds." He said in a hushed voice. "They're taking us to Corypheus. Fenris and I will be locked in red lyrium cages in the morning, and you're going straight to the big guy."

"How did this happen?" She whispered.

Bull's face darkened with anger. "They ambushed us. They were probably following us for hours before they made their move. They took you and Fenris out first, then me. I think Krem and the others are okay. I didn't see them in any of the cages, or on the ground."