Chapter Thirteen

"Meet me at the Chantry. You're in danger." Talyn read the note to the others as soon as they were alone. Solas had put up wards around the Gull and the Lantern, so that other mages couldn't just pop in magically or listen in on what they were saying.

The group was sitting at a table in the corner of the room, far away from the bartender who was cleaning already clean mugs with a rag.

"Should we do it?" Cassandra asked. "Should we meet him in the Chantry?"

"It sounds like a trap." Iron Bull said. "We should just go home. This trip has been wasted. Redcliffe is a lost cause."

"No." Talyn interrupted them. "We're going to the Chantry."

"What if it is a trap?" Cassandra asked, an argumentative tone to her voice.

"The little lordling will know we think it's a trap. So even if it is, he doesn't have the element of surprise." Talyn reassured her. "We'll be fine.

"I agree with Talyn. Let's go to the Chantry." Solas said.

Bull sighed, defeated. "I suppose it has been awhile since I've kicked some Tevinter ass."

The three of them turned their eyes to Cassandra, who stood there with her arms crossed. She sighed and shrugged. "Why not?"

Talyn smiled. "Then let's go."

Under the cover of night, the four of them traveled through the city of Redcliffe, their steps as light as they could make them. Solas had used a spell that would help them blend with the night, but Talyn had no use for it. She had to remind herself to slow down, so that she wouldn't leave the others behind.

It unnerved her, how at ease with the darkness she was. How her hearing was sharper under the cover of night, her vision impeccable. Like she was made of shadows and silence.

Talyn held onto the dagger that was normally strapped to her thigh and sneaked up to the large Chantry door. She grabbed one of its steel handles and pulled hard on it. It opened slowly, it's hinges creaking. Talyn let Solas, Cassandra, and Iron Bull through first before she shut the door behind her.

The Chantry hall was dark, each row of benches empty. There was only one light down at the end of the hall, where two lit candles sat at the statue of Andraste's feet. Talyn sheathed her dagger and reached for her bow.

Talyn nearly shot Felix, who had stepped out from behind the statue, his face pale and his skin shiny with sweat.

A second person followed Felix. He was tall, with tanned skin and black hair. He had a thick black moustache that curled a bit at the ends, and dark eyes. He was handsome. He was carrying a staff that looked similar to Solas'.

"Thank you for coming to meet with me." The obvious foreigner greeted them.

"Tevinter." Iron Bull growled.

The man turned to the Qunari. "I know our two peoples have never gotten along, but for the sake of the world, could we maybe knock our hatred down a notch or two?"

Then, when Iron Bull didn't respond, the man turned to Talyn. He bowed with a flourish, a flirtatious smile on his face. "My name is Dorian of house Pavus. How do you do?"

"And why did you bring us here, Dorian Pavus?" Talyn asked him.

Dorian's face grew serious. "To talk about my former mentor, Alexius. As he was once my mentor, my assistance should be most valuable. As I'm sure you can imagine."

"Get to the point." Cassandra growled.

"There is danger here, that much is obvious even without the note." Dorian started to pace. "Let's begin with Alexius snatching the rebel mage's allegiance out from under your noses. As if by magic, yes? To reach Redcliffe before the mages, Alexius distorted time itself."

Talyn exchanged a startled glance with Solas. "To get here before me? Right after the Divine died?"

Dorian smirked. "You catch on quick."

"Manipulating time itself? Even the most powerful mages weren't able to do that." Solas didn't sound convinced.

"The rift you closed here? You saw how it twisted around time itself, sped up some things and slowed down others. "

"Yes. We saw."

"The magic Alexius is using is wildly dangerous and is unraveling the world."

"Who would have thought that time magic would be unpredictable?" Iron Bull said sarcastically.

"My father is a part of a cult that calls themselves the Venatori." Felix, who was sitting in one of the benches told them.

"And I can tell you one thing: whatever he's done for them, he's done it to get to you."

"Okay, so how do we stop him?"

"There's a secret passage that leads into the Redcliffe castle. Go through there, eliminate the Venatori stationed there to ambush you, and head directly to him." Felix instructed.

"I will be there to help you. But I must be careful. If Alexius found out I was here..." Dorian's sentence trailed off.

Talyn understood. Clearly him and the Magister had a falling out. She asked Felix, "why are you betraying your father?"

There was a sad look to his eyes when Felix said, "because he's not my father anymore."