Chapter Six

Talyn woke up in a soft bed. Her head was killing her, but her mark wasnt aching anymore. She looked around to see she was in a different room than the one she woke up in yesterday. This one had no bars on the window, and instead of the scratchy, moth-eaten rags that covered her yesterday, there was a soft blanket stuffed with feathers that draped over her. Talyn frowned, squinting her eyes as she tried to recall the events of yesterday. She remembered waking up, remembered her loss of memories, Cassandra, Leiliana, the hairy chested dwarf Varric...

Solas' face flashed in her head. She remembered him the most clearly. Her face turned red at the memory of him kissing her hand. Did that really happen? Or was it just a dream?

She could recall everything that happened up until the beginning of the battle.

There was a clattering of dishes breaking, and Talyn looked to the doorway. An elf, with choppy red hair was standing there. There was a look of surprise on her face.

"M'Lady! You're awake!" She stammered, dropping to her knees and pressing her forehead against the floorboards.

Talyn frowned. "What are you doing?" She asked, her voice dry and hoarse.

"You saved us from the Breach, M'Lady. Everyone saw it." The elf said, from her spot on the floor.

Talyn walked over to her and held out her hand. "Please get up. And why are you calling me that? I'm no lady."

The elf stood up, refusing to take Talyn's hand, her face still pale and her eyes still wide. "M'Lady, you're the Herald of Andraste. You're holy."

"I... what?" Talyn asked, confused.

But the elf was done speaking with her, it seemed. "Seeker Cassandra wants to see you when you wake... in the Chantry, at once she said!" And with that she picked up the tray, not bothering to pick up the broken porcelain on the floor and rushed out of the room.

Talyn frowned again, but followed her out the door, into the freezing mountain air. The sky was black with clouds, but right in the center of the sky, the Breach glowed faintly.

"No." Talyn breathed, dread filling her very core. She had failed. She had failed them all. But Talyn could hear music and laughter and clapping, people shouting to the heavens in celebration. Who would celebrate such a catastrophe? Where were the demons raining from the sky?

The frosted ground crunched underneath Talyn's feet as she ran towards the largest building, hoping that that was the Chantry the elf was talking about.

She ran into Varric.

"Whoa there, Firefly! Slow down." Varric peered up at her panicked eyes. "What's the matter with ya? How long have you been awake?"

"Varric, the Breach! It's still open! We have to get these people-"

Varric held up his hands in a plea for Talyn to be quiet. " Talyn, you didn't close the Breach, but it's stable. Demons aren't coming through it anymore, and the earthquakes and lightning have stopped. You saved us. "

"I... what?"

Varric grinned. "They're calling you the Herald of Andraste now. Saying that the woman behind you in the rift was the Maker's bride herself, saving you from the Temple of Ashes so you could save us all from the Breach."

Talyn looked around her. The people that were walking around the dwarf and elf were staring at Talyn, with reverence stuck in their wide eyes, whispering to each other.

Talyn turned to Varric. "I'm not a hero."

Varric shrugged. "Well they all think you are. Bask in the glory of it, Herald. All of Thedas is in your debt."