Chapter Nineteen

Scout to the north. Be their guide.

Talyn did just that. With the help of her companions, Talyn had their people ready to leave for their new home at first light. Every man, woman, and child followed Talyn unquestioningly. Cold, hungry, and afraid, they all trusted Talyn to lead them to a safe place. A haven. As she led them north, what was left of the Inquisition marched on either side of the civilians, their wide hungry eyes alert for whatever danger could be lurking the in the frozen mountain peaks. Talyn told Leiliana to put her scouts to work, sending them in all directions to look for signs of Corypheus and whatever was left of his army. Talyn wouldn't let them be ambushed again.

She also sent the hunters with the scouts. If they came across any animal, no matter how big or small, they were to kill it, to feed her starving people.

Her people. It was strange for Talyn to say it, to even think it. But that is what they were. They were her people. Her family. The only memories Talyn had were of the people she had fought alongside the past few months. Even Cassandra, who originally wanted Talyn executed, was someone that Talyn would die for.

And she knew they would die for her in a heartbeat.

Talyn stayed far ahead of the group, looking for signs of the fortress Solas told her about. But if she saw the lone mountain cat or goat, she shot it down so others could be fed. Solas was never far behind her. She couldn't see him most of the time, but she felt his presence.

After a few days of trudging through knee deep snow, the harsh mountain let up on them. The sun was a little stronger, there was a little less snow. Talyn and her hunters found more and more prey, and the people grew stronger.

One night, Talyn was sitting alone at the council's campfire. Most people were sleeping, huddling together for warmth. But Talyn couldn't sleep. All she could think about was that beautiful red haired elf woman, the one that felt so familiar to her. The strong, powerful huntress that made Talyn feel so safe, for a short while.

Look what you made me do.

Who the hell was Talyn? What was her subconscious trying to tell her, what sort of evil monster was she?

"Well, look who it is. The elf who came back from the dead." Dorian sat down next to her.

"Hello Dorian."

"So. It looks like we'll be battling my master's "Elder One", hm?"

It seemed that way. "What do you know of this Corypheus?" She asked him.

Dorian shrugged. "Not much. He wants to restore Tevinter to it's former glory. He believes he's a true god, and he wants into the Black City. That's all I know. But..."

"But?"

"Judging from his appearance, I wouldn't be surprised that he wasn't one of the first darkspawn."

"An ancient Tevinter magister."

"Correct." Dorian seemed pleased that Talyn had caught on.

So, what Corypheus had been saying to her at the Battle of Haven could be true. He was a myth turned into flesh.

Talyn ran a hand through her hair. "How are we going to fight someone immortal?"

"Everything has a weakness. I thought Alexius was nearly undefeatable, until I saw your hands wrapped around his throat." Dorian reassured her.

"Right. Because that's so reassuring. Corypheus has a dragon and a demon army. Alexius is just a man."

"The avalanche wiped out most of his army." Dorian grinned. "What's ironic is that the avalanche was caused by his own dragon."