"It's been peaceful. Quiet. The good kind," Cristine answered.

"You know you don't have to stay there... I don't really know why you even want to in the middle of nowhere all by yourself." Blake's reminder was a repetitive one, but Cristine knew it came from a place of worry. All alone by herself and exposed by the elements, the dead and the living. But she wanted this.

"Aw, you worried about me now Blakey?" Cristine teased back.

"Yeah, yeah don't get all sentimental on me." There was some crackling noise in the background, but Cristine had a hard time making out what it was or what was said. "Listen, I need to bounce, my turn for patrol. Tall to you later."

"Yeah." Cristine paused briefly, "be safe."

"Always am. You too."

-

Dressed in her outdoor garb and worn out baseball cap, Cristine strode outside to do her routine checkup of the fences. She, Jake, Charlie and Blake build this perimeter. It took them a week, but she was grateful for the help and company. Empty and old cans dangled between the wires as alarm for the dead and living alike. If, by any chance the dead made it here first, horde or not, her fences needed to be strong enough to hold back for a bit.

Wiping the back of her already sweating neck, Cristine grabbed her hunting riffle and used the scope to look in the far distance. A cloud of dust gathered in the distance and it either meant a vehicles or a group of dead. Unclenching her jaw, Cristine picked out the familiar truck that belonged to Jake.

"Blake didn't say anything else?" The anxious worry oozed from Jake's body and was palpable inside Cristine's cabin. He didn't even take a seat or drink the water she offered him, choosing instead to use the wall as support with his arms crossed over his chest.

Cristine shook her head and pinched the bridge of her nose with equal vexation over the fact that this fuel run caused this unnecessary worry and chaos. "No. Only about there being people at the border and Troy not wanting to take any chances."

The answer only managed to deepen the scowl on Jake's face. Worrying about a younger sibling was something Cristine could understand. The pity she felt for Jake being the eldest was on a whole other level with Troy in the picture. The relationship between Jake and Troy sounded complicated, fragile, and exhausting. The two often talked and Jake shared things with her; how he always protected Troy, that the promises his younger made to him meant something... and also that Troy wasn't happy to have Jake back on the Ranch; betrayed that his older left at all. Left Troy with their father and that it took the end of the world for their family to come together and start over. It was those festering issues Jake and Jeremiah used as an excuse to allow Troy free reign.

"You think that's all it was?" Cristine's shoulders raised and in spite of herself an equally troubled expression settled in her face.

"Blake and I don't talk about th-"

"Cristine," Jake interjected, his eyes became frail and she looked away as the tension grew. Just as Jake shared his familial issues, Cristine told Jake about the night Troy and the militia dragged her out to kill that family in the dessert. Went out of his way to find people for 'science' and make a point to her that night. The horror on Jake's face wasn't as severe as Cristine thought it would be. But it clicked to her right then and there that Jake was fully aware of the darkness inside of his little brother.

"Just because you don't talk about it doesn't mean its not happening."

Cristine's response was biting, her nostrils flared and Jake knew he hit a nerve. "And that's their bed to lay in. We're all big boys and girl who make our own choices. I'm not going to feeling guilty or lose sleep because they decided to use what I divulged for human experiments."

"I know," Jake muttered softly, feeling bad that it came across as if he blamed Cristine for this. He didn't. "I didn't mean it like that. You're not to blame. They are- I'm sorry... things have been tense back home with Troy and my father lately. My dad thought this fuel run would be good to let Troy and militia blow off some steam. Cast one out to protect the many." A cynical smile tilted on Jake's lips, but it quickly dwindled and the weariness on his face was apparent. Like he'd fought an army of dead.

After her confession that day, Jake too confined about Troy. How his little brother was the way since he was a chil. Cautioned her to be careful around Troy and set boundaries for him so that he wouldn't do the things he'd done to her ever again. Sometimes, Jake caught himself sharing too much, but Cristine blamed it on Jake never really having someone to talk about. Jake was stuck in the middle of their father's radical and bigoted views; views that were so ingrained in Troy and were part of his personality. Views Jake grew up with too, but was able to break from for most part. Jake went to college and interacted with the same people he was taught to hate and see as the enemy. It was then Jake understood that the world wasn't just what his father described it to be. There was much more to it and it gave him hope. Even with the world as it was now.

"You going to the depot?" Cristine asked.

"They've been there for weeks, barely made contact and the people back home worry about their families. I'm planning on going with Charlie. Wanna come with?"

"Nah, you guys can handle it. I need to finish my grocery list before returning to the Ranch." A hearty laugh slipped from Jake's lips, eyes crinkling near the edges.

"I'm still shocked and worried you're running these errands for others

"I'm still shocked and worried you're running these errands for others. I mean old records for Martha? Toys for the kids?" Cristine accepted requests from people who wanted things. They were usually menial stuff, but she didn't mind. It kept her sharp, busy and increased her knowledge of the terrain.

"It helps honing my scouting and tracking skills." Cristine smiled after showing feigned a serious face, only to smile at her friend afterwards

Welcome back lovelies! I'm really excited for this new Book. As always, share your thoughts, feedback and criticism with me. And also leave vote and share this story with your friends/followers!