Chapter 19: He was my person

Start from the beginning

Before I knew it, hours had gone by and we were onto our second bottle, throwing 20 questions at each other not getting too deep into our pasts but still getting to know each other none the less. "You wanted to hear my dreams and you're laughing at me." He chuckled as he spoke.

"You're telling me that your dad wanted you to be apart of the family business but you wanted to be a film maker? So you met him halfway by becoming a photographer? I don't believe you."

I chuckled a little at him as we both threw our heads back. "Well I mean, private investigators take pictures too right?" I shook my head at him with a smile on my face. "Okay, I'm half kidding." His mood faltered a little making me question what I said until he stopped my thoughts with another playful question.

"Well, Miss judgemental. Tell me your dreams." I looked down before lifting my eyes to connect with his, he had a glint in them with a cheeky grin grazing his lips.

"Okay. Well I want to be an event photographer, weddings specifically. I adore weddings and capturing the love and light in the room just does something for me you know? Weddings are so pure and they're all so different and beautiful in their own way. I want to capture that." I speak excitedly, thinking of all the beautiful weddings I had been to and wanting to be able to take those spectacular photos.

You would think that for someone who went through such a disastrous marriage that I would hate weddings but I just can't. I love love and just because the love I thought I had was wrong that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The thoughts of my wedding started to make their way into my mind causing my mood to shift.

"Wow, you look so beautiful when you talk about your dreams. I can just see how much love you have for it and I'll do everything I can to help you achieve those dreams."

His compliment took me by surprise but I couldn't appreciate it properly because of where my mind was going "Thank you." I sheepishly look down, but I knew he could tell something felt indifferent. Talking about all of the amazing parts of my life was great but that's only a small portion of it, and the rest, well... they weren't so nice.

And even in his tipsy state he could see my mask cracking "Monroe, I know you're holding back. I can resight your birthday, full name, favourite colour, favourite food, your school and even your 10 dead fishes names but -"

He crawled over to sit next to me before continuing, once he reached me he put my wine glass down on the table before turning to look at me and taking my hand into his. "You don't have to hold back." He looked down taking a glimpse at my previously ringed finger "I knew you were married going into this, you can talk to me about him. You can talk to me about anything for that matter."

I looked down at my hand before hiding it under my thigh, I wanted to tell him everything but the thought of reliving everything was so hard for me. "You wanted to know about my parents? Can we - can we start there please?" I deeply sighed before looking away from him.

In my periphery I could see him nodding his head before feeling his delicate fingers on my chin pulling me to look at him. "Hey, you don't have to do this. I just want you to know that you don't have to be scared to talk to me about anything and everything okay? Whenever you're ready and if not, no problem."

I nodded at him with a small smile. "No, you have a right to know." I paused before continuing "As you know my aunt Clarise raised me but I didn't exactly live with her just when my parents needed her to babysit. Clarise is my mums little sister and she was unofficially my nanny for majority of my life until I hit my teens and my parents didn't want me to see her anymore for reasons that I still don't know.

My parents they - they didn't know how to love me. Sure they provided for me and gave me everything money could buy but I never saw them. My dad lived in the US for half of the year as he is the CFO of some international company that I never cared for, he never took the time out to get to know me just threw money at me when I asked to spend time with him.