THIRTY-EIGHT

I put on the suit, and a pair of leather shoes Cal had also let me borrow. I adjusted my collar and looked in the mirror one last time before stepping into his car. I looked down for most of the car journey and fiddled with my fingers to try and keep my mind off of it.

"Is everything okay, son?" Cal asked. He put his hand on my shoulder and tried to comfort me.

"Yes... um... I'm just a bit nervous I guess," I muttered, my knee still shaking.

He chuckled. "You'll be fine. It's not like you're the one that's singing tonight."

"That would be horrible," I replied, and he chuckled. I then arrived.

The hall was very grand, with ceilings at least twenty feet high. There were marble carvings on the walls with faded paintings of harps and cellos. I found my seat in the middle row on the floor. I sat next to an elderly woman, before spotting Poppy's Mum and brother so I went and joined them. "How are you doing?" I asked, and Reuben sighed.

"Good to see you, Finn," her Mum said. "Poppy didn't say you were coming."

"I would've stayed home if I knew you were," Reuben muttered under his breath. His Mum lightly pushed him, and he apologised.

"It's all good," I said. I thought about when Reuben insulted me for being homeless, and I ignored it. I wasn't going to let that spoil tonight.

"You look smart," her Mum said. "I love the suit."

"Thank you. It was Mr Callaghan's... he let me borrow it for tonight," I said, smiling.

"I was supposed to sit over there, but I saw her Mum and her brother, and I thought I'd come to sit by you... if that's alright..." I added.

"Of course it is... also I'm Michelle... you don't need to call me Poppy's Mum... or Mrs Starr - although it does sound very cool," she laughed, and it was exactly the same as Poppy's.

"Nice to meet you, Michelle," I said, and I smiled.

Suddenly the audience went quiet as if somehow they knew the recital had started. Two girls before came on to sing. I recognised them from primary school. First came a tall, plump girl with dark hair and braces. She had a very deep voice when she sang, and it was powerful. Second, came a thin, short girl with long blonde hair. Her voice was very high pitched, but she had great control over it.

And then came Poppy.

She was wearing a bright red dress, like a poppy, and her lips were painted in the same colour. Her hair was curled and reached the tops of her shoulders. She wore a pair of dark, strappy heels. She looked beautiful.

Her voice was smooth, and clear, and soft. It was soothing. Like a song on a playlist you never skip, that you wish would never end. Through it all, what gave me the most joy is the look she gave me, after noticing me; her cheeks turned a poppy red colour, and her dimples emerged. I felt at peace. I didn't want it to end.

I went back with Poppy and her family. After talking to her other family members for a while, I joined Poppy outside in the garden; she had put an old navy, Harry Potter hoodie on top of her dress to shelter her from the cold.

As the day fell, the stars in the night sky revealed themselves. I had always loved the stars and the moon. I would spend hours staring out into the abyss. The night sky was always so appealing to me, so welcoming. The stars glistened as if lighting up the world at its darkest hour. I had longed for anything and everything the world would offer me. Even love.

"It's not even fully dark yet but I think at times like these the sky is more relaxing," I said, pulling up a chair to sit next to Poppy.

"It really is," she replied. "It's only now beginning to dim, but it's pretty."

"It's almost like a navy tint in the sky." I grabbed her hand and pointed it at a chunk of dark blue in the sky. I let go of her hand, after realising how aggressive that would have looked. "It compliments the street lights around your house."

"It's beautiful," she said softly, and I swallowed. All I could think about was Poppy.

"Thoroughly," I muttered, and she smiled to herself. "It's just a really nice palette of blue."

"It's weird because there are hints of grey," she said, grabbing my hand, and pointing at a chunk of grey. "It looks like it's cold outside, but it's not... like it's a dull colour... but it fits with the atmosphere. It's like the sky is trying to make it all depressing and stuff."

I intertwined my fingers in hers.

"I love the night sky. Like long walks under a sky like this is just... beautiful," she said, rubbing the palm of my hand.

"That's why I adore going out late at night.... like everything is so empty yet immersive at the same time. Like everything has come together, and it's extremely compelling and striking," I added.

"It's a big fucking world," she replied, and I chuckled. "Like how can one small thing, in theory, like the sky represent so much."

"It's fucking crazy, I know. Like the smallest of things. Like I don't know - a crack on the pavements - or the sky like you said," I said.

"Or how birds sing the same songs... or how the seasons change every year," she added. Her voice was much higher, much more excited than usual. "It's strange how the smallest things make the biggest impact."

"Tell me about it," I said to myself.

"Like if you think about it... there are infinite possibilities, and timelines... and the chance of you and me even talking right now... is it just coincidental? Or was there an actual reason why?" she asked. "Everything can't be a coincidence."

"It really can't be," I said. "It's too lovely."

"I don't believe in coincidences most of the time, but I do think everything happens for a reason." She stared at the stars again.

I chuckled. "It's like everything is everything, and everything is random, yet not at the same time... it's beyond comprehension."

She smirked. "It's infinite."

"Like in another dimension, or the world, or whatever... we could be on a deserted island or flying to Mars... I just think it's weird how coincidences work," she added, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Like an endless amount of dominoes toppled so intricately to this moment." I closed my eyes and rested my head on hers.

And then we looked at each other for a long time. I noticed things I hadn't before. I noticed her slim frame, her freckles that scattered around her face, her hair that fell like hazel waterfalls just below her shoulders. And her mouth... oh, how badly I wanted to touch her mouth.

And so I did. I leaned in closer, and we kissed. It wasn't like the kisses that happen in the movies, where their mouths are wide open, and they shove each other's tongues down their throats. It was small. But it was perfect. And I loved it. I loved the way her lips fit perfectly with mine, like two puzzle pieces. I loved the feeling of my hand tucked under her hair. The way she stroked my hand and played with my fingers. It was magnificent.

It was as if everything good in the world came to me for one night.