THIRTY-TWO

We talked for a while, before hearing the front door slam shut.

"Pops? Reub?" a voice called from downstairs.

"Shit," Poppy muttered to herself.

I narrowed my eyes, unsure of what to say.

"It's my Mam. I didn't think she'd be back so soon," she replied.

"Oh, okay... do you want me to go?" I asked.

"Don't be stupid. She's chill." She nudged me playfully.

"Pops?" her Mum repeated. "Your brother says that you've got a friend over."

Friend. That word pierced me like a thousand knives going into my heart.

"Mmhm," she said.

"I'm making the tuna, pasta thing... they can stay for food if they like?" her Mum said from downstairs.

Poppy looked at me. "Wanna stay for food?"

"Umm... I... don't want to interrupt anything," I flustered.

"Don't be stupid," she replied, nudging me playfully again.

"He'd love to stay," Poppy said.

I smiled awkwardly and strummed her guitar.

After a while, we got called down for food in the dining room; it had chalk-white walls, covered in photos and a small, grey settee by the window. Reuben was already in the room, on his phone, when we got there.

"Smells good," I said. "You okay, dude?"

Reuben nodded his head. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Cool," I said, awkwardly, taking a seat.

Poppy's Mum came in, carrying bowls, and cutlery.

"Let me help you with that." I grabbed the bowls from her and smiled.

"Helpful too. He's a good one," her Mum said, smiling.

I looked at Poppy, who immediately looked down. "Sorry. What do you mean?"

"Poppy's just told me about you, that's all. Finn? Isn't it?" she said, scooping out the pasta.

I nodded, flattered that Poppy had spoken about me.

Poppy's eyes widened. "Mam?"

"Oooooooo," Reuben said.

Poppy looked at her brother, grabbed his phone from him, and switched it off.

"What? No. You didn't just do that," Reuben said, his eyes wider than ever.

"Oh, yes I did," Poppy said, grinning.

"Oh, calm down Reubs. It's just a game," her Mum laughed. Identical to Poppy's.

Her brother gave her a death glare. "It's not just a game. It's taken me weeks to get here... and now... all... gone." His eyes and mouth were frozen open, totally stunned.

Her Mum rolled her eyes. "So, Finn... you must be in Poppy's class?"

"Umm... I mean," I muttered.

Poppy nudged her Mum and shook her head. Her Mum bit her lip.

"I'm sorry..." she said.

"Oh my god, don't apologise. I mean technically I would've probably... maybe..." I looked at Poppy. "Hopefully." Poppy smiled at me. "Had been in Poppy's class. It's genuinely okay."

Her Mum smiled. "What did you take for your GCSE's. Like before...."

"Um... well... I took Drama... which I love... um... Music... which is great... and then Computer Science which is just... bad..." I chuckled.

"How come?" she asked, sprinkling cheese on her pasta.

"It wasn't the subject itself, I just didn't really like the teacher, if I'm honest," I said, sipping on my orange juice.

"That's fair enough," her Mum said.

"Anyway, Poppy. I actually don't know what subjects you chose," I said, tucking into my pasta.

"Textiles, Music, and Drama," she answered.

Reuben scoffed. "I still don't get why you chose Drama. You literally can't act."

"Shut up." Poppy hissed. "You're just annoyed because I turned off your game."

"She was supposed to take Geography," Reuben added. "But Alana convinced her to drop it... wait do you know Alana?"

"Indeed I do," I replied. "I mean, I probably wouldn't have taken Geography... it used to bore the hell out of me... I see why you dropped it."

Poppy smiled and looked at me, which made me blush.

"This pasta is genuinely so good. Literally can't taste the tuna at all," I chuckled.

Her Mum smiled. "Glad to see someone appreciates it... Reuben?"

Reuben rolled his eyes and sipped his drink. His Mum went to get napkins.

"Must be a change... you know..." he began.

"Reuben. What are you doing?" Poppy asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Having a warm meal... actually under a roof, and not a cardboard box-"

Poppy kicked Reuben in his shin. "That's enough."

"Ow! What the hell!" he exclaimed.

"Poppy it's fine..." I said, quickly.

"No, it's not. You've been in a bad mood since you got in. There's no reason to take it out on Finn," she replied. "Just because your friends went out without you again, doesn't mean you can treat people like shit."

Reuben rolled his eyes, grabbed his phone from Poppy, and stormed upstairs.

"That's my cue to leave," I laughed, awkwardly.

Poppy sighed. "Finn... no. Don't let my brother spoil this. We were having a great time."

"But he's not wrong. I am homeless."

"But you have Cal-" she said, rubbing my shoulder.

"You know what I mean. What happens after you finish your GCSE's? I can't live with Cal forever," I interrupted.

"You'll figure it out," she said. "Look. Let me make it up to you. Tomorrow we're going shopping."

"We are?" I asked, scrunching my nose.

"Oh, don't die of excitement," she giggled. "I'll meet you at Cal's tomorrow morning. We'll take a train to Cardiff. Have some food-"

"I don't know Poppy. I'm not a shopping person."

She pouted. "Please."

"No," I said, bluntly.

She sighed and sat back down at the table.

I bit my lip and sighed. "What time are you meeting me outside of Cal's tomorrow?"

She then gave me a smile that was genuine and sweet and made me feel warm inside. It was beautiful.