Chapter 14

Thursday Morning

October 24, 2019

"An intervention?" I question as I look up at my friends. Gwen and Steven have ambushed me on my way to homeroom and refuse to leave me alone no matter how much I ask. They seem intent on the exact opposite happening.

"Not just any intervention. It's the 'Torture and Reveal' intervention." Gwen corrects and I raise an eyebrow in question not sure if I'm mentally, or apparently physically, ready for the explanation behind the name. I look towards Steven.

"And you're okay with this?" I ask him and despite the nod, I can see the worry in his light brown eyes. I sigh and relent because maybe this isn't such a bad idea despite my own thoughts on the matter which I'm sure are just bitter from lack of sleep. I can't get over what Seth had said to me last night. "Car?" Steven's voice pulls me from my thoughts and I blink before refocusing back on his steady gaze. "You alright?" He questions his eyes traveling between my face and where my right-hand runs over my sleeved arm. I stop and pull my hand away.

"So, intervention?" I change the subject not able to lie and not yet ready for the aftermath of telling the truth.

***

Thursday Evening

We all pile into Gwen's extravagant house giddy for a sleepover because, despite it being meant for an intervention, we haven't gotten the gang altogether for a large slumber party in months. Each of our lives has become full of other commitments and agendas and, while it's sad it's also just life, so none of us can say much on the matter.

I camp out on the couch flipping through the gaming magazines Gwen's brother subscribes to as I wait for her to return with popcorn. Steven flips through some of the television channels though the moment we hear Gwen descend the stairs we come to attention like a couple of military soldiers. We lock eyes, the thought flashes through both our minds and we snicker.

"Alright, intervention 'Torture and Reveal' is now underway!" Gwen declares as she drops down onto the air mattress sitting parallel from Steven. I reach over and grab a handful of popcorn.

"Is the torture part really necessary?"

"Yes." Gwen answers so matter-of-factly it's almost comical and I find it difficult not to chuckle.

"Why?" Steven reaches for the popcorn this time as he asks his question but Gwen bats his hand away shooting our childhood friend a Cheshire's grin. My lips twitch upwards in a smile at the go-between.

"Boys who skip practice don't eat such unhealthy snacks and it gives it pizzaz." She retorts and Steven rolls his eyes as he reaches for the popcorn once more. Rather than just going for a handful, though he snatches the entire bowl from Gwen, smirking at the victory.

"Need I remind you who's making me skip football practice?" He quips and I chuckle as I watch him toss a few pieces of popcorn into his mouth. Gwen is less than amused. She snatches her bowl back from Steven grumbling about football players and just where they could stuff the ball. I almost lose it at that but manage to keep it together. It's Steven who gets serious first. "So, intervention. Who wants to go first?"

I slink down into the couch, not wanting the honor whatsoever. Steven's eyes roam over both Gwen and I though none of us speaks up after the question. We sit in silence, confined to our own thoughts as we think about what we'd even say.

What can I say?

I question.

Everything that's happened with mom? But they already know about that. Everything with Seth? That's hardly my place. All the stuff that's happened with me?