47. LIPS BURN COLD

KAEA

"Well I hope you learned something from your...ah...outing." My father said, and I didn't miss his point.

"Yeah... rides are fun. If we could have something like that, it would be awesome."

"Rides?" He said blankly. "Kaea, wasn't this going to be small scale?"

Oh right.

"Or umm... stalls. Just like a small fair, what about that?"

"I am not sure how many people would donate if they have to buy tickets. And where will you find volunteers for this kind of stuff? They wouldn't be paid, because the proceeds have to go to the children."

"The children could work too." In fact, I just had the most terrible and awesome idea ever. It would be miserable for me, but it should work.

"Hmm... well, just keep it low budget. We can't spare a lot of money on extravagance."

I nodded and with a toast in my mouth, bolted out of the house.

Kyle was sitting near the ground, watching the kids play, just as Martha ran and toppled at least two people over. "Damn, that kid is a hurricane."

He looked back at me, and then without saying anything, got up. "Let's go."

"Where?"

The he realised there wasn't anywhere for us to be at. He shrugged and sat back down again.

"Hey I was thinking about the donation event... what if me make it a school affair?"

"That is the worst idea I have ever heard." He raised an eyebrow. "These kids would be... made fun of."

Bullied.

"Why? Because they need to have better living conditions? Because they deserve better lives?"

"Yeah, their lives would be hella good once all the kids start teasing them."

Huh, maybe this was why I was on edge. This bickering was missing yesterday- I almost didn't feel like myself.

"Just say bullied, Kyle. Or are you allergic to that word?"

His jaw tightened, and he narrowed his eyes at me. "Fine. But I don't want that for them."

"No, you only wanted that for me." I narrowed my eyes as well. "I know that some kids would do that, but truthfully, Kyle, not all kids are like you were."

"Were?"

This was so beside the goddamn point! "Are. There, that made you feel better?"

He stood up and stepped close to me. I could feel his breath. "Why do you keep doing that?" His voice was tight.

"Why do you? Do you enjoy arguing with me?" I was hella mad, but when he touched my lips with his thumb, I forgot what we were fighting over.

"Maybe." He whispered.

My lips were burning. I wanted to kiss him so badly.

"Kaea!" Rebecca yelled, running towards me.

I hugged her. "Hey, honey. How is the head?" I tapped her forehead lightly.

"So much better. Kyle brought me chocolates." She held a chocolate bar, and I raised my eyebrows. "That looks tasty. Well, why don't you go ahead and eat it?"

"But I have to save it!"

And that's when I realised that these kids don't have the privilege of buying and eating chocolates whenever they want. They probably save every penny that came their way.