PARIS

...right. I'm not doing this. I'm NOT doing this. I'm not.

JULIE

You must, Tom, or you will redirected again. Remember how that hurt. How painful that was.

PARIS looks frightened then regains his composure.

PARIS

I don't care. What kind of government treats its citizens like children? It is wrong to take away one's freedoms for the sake of the nation. I will procreate when I want to. Not when some government tells me I can.

JULIE

(worried)

Tom, you must comply. You will be redirected. You mustn't say such things. They will redirect you again and again until you stop. Tom, it's not worth it.

PARIS

(angry)

It's not worth it? How can you say it's not worth it? We're talking about freedom here. Freedom. Freedom to love who you want when you want. Never mind the government. Never the so-called love the Nation of Nion has for its people.

The door is kicked and five SOLDIERS quickly move in. PARIS fights off two of the SOLDIERS. Three of them touch PARIS with the cylinders. PARIS falls down convulsing.

JULIE

(crying)

Tom!

SOLDIER #1 turns to JULIE.

SOLDIER#1

He will have to be redirected and perhaps reprogrammed.

JULIE

(extremely worried)

Not reprogrammed. He won't remember anything, ever.

SOLDIER #1

Perhaps, you would like to join him?

JULIE quickly backs away.

JULIE

NO! No.

The SOLDIERS pick PARIS up and drag him outside.

INTERIOR. THE BRIDGE

JANEWAY is sitting in the captain's chair with CHAKOTAY at her side. KIM is at his station. TORRES is also on the bridge.

JANEWAY

How long has it been?

KIM

Paris is an hour overdue.

JANEWAY

Helm, move us into a high omit around the planet.

HELMSMAN

Aye, Captain.

JANEWAY

Mr. Kim, begin scanning for Mr. Paris as soon as we get in range.

KIM

Yes, Captain.

CUT TO:

INTERIOR. A NION COURTROOM

PARIS is standing on the accused's platform. He is dressed as he was when they arrested him.

JUDGE

Do you have anything to say before I find you guilty of sedition?

PARIS

How can you call this a court of law?

JUDGE