Just Breathe With Me

⚠️ Warning ⚠️
A Suicide attempt and suicidal thoughts are mentioned here. If you aren't comfortable with either of those please skip this story. Thank you.
(Wonderful idea credit goes to @TeamSoulHeart!)

     Masahiro didn't know that rain could be so done chilling. He never knew that it could feel like it was turning all of your blood to ice.
     "I know that you'll become an even greater now, Kousuke,"
     "What's this all about?"
     "Your teaching got through to a failure like me, and really turned me around for the better. And I know you'll do the same for other struggling students..." Masahiro's grip on his phone was starting to hurt.
     "Where are you? I'm coming to pick you up."
     "I'm fine."
     "Fine? You don't want me to pick you?" Something was wrong and Kousuke could tell.
     "I'm sorry." Why was he apologizing?
     "Then hurry up and get over here. You're going to celebrate with me, aren't you? It's not really a surprise anymore, but we can-"
     "I'd planned on being there, but going forward, if you stay with somebody like me-" Somebody like him? Someone like Masahiro was all that Kousuke could ever want.
     "That's not true!"
     "It is true! I can't keep..." Kousuke could hear heavy rain and nearing waves through the phone.
     "Is the end then?" How much longer was Masahiro going to talk like this? He didn't really believe Kousuke thought that way about him. Did he?
     "I'm really great fun for the times we had together. Being able to walk next to you felt like a dream. "
     "What are you saying?"
     "Thank you for everything you've done for me."
     Kousuke could hear a checking sob through the phone before there was a splash and the call cut off.
Just what is that kid thinking?
     Kousuke wracked his brain for a few minutes. For always saying he could solve any problem, Masahiro sometimes seemed like his impossible problem. But he'd figure it out one way or another.
     "Why did Masahiro feel like he had to apologize? Why did he seem set on the fact that I could find someone better? Why was he-"
A horrifying idea crept into his mind and only grew with every one of his thoughts.
"He couldn't... He wouldn't... Would he?"
Kousuke hated the chance that Masahiro had put his own life on the line. And Kousuke was not one to take chances, especially when it was someone so dear to him.
Next thing he knew he was flying out the front door and into his car. He left for the nearest beach.
Masahiro couldn't breathe. His chest felt tight. The world seemed too dark. He could feel himself shaking, yet he doubted it was from cold.
He watched as his phone was carried away by the waves through teary eyes. Somehow the idea of just being washed away seemed comforting to him. Maybe the crushing sense would go away if he would just float away too.
     He walked further down onto the beach.
     The water lapped at his feet. He took another step forward. And then another. And another. Soon he was up to his neck and could scarcely feel the seafloor beneath him.
     Just as the water enclosed the top of his head, he thought he heard someone call his name. But it was so far away.
     Kousuke was willing to try beach after beach to find Masahiro.
     There was no sign of the boy at the first beach closest to the Ooshiba household. But on the second beach, Kousuke found him.
     He had pulled up to the beach and hopped out of his car. He ran down the beach searching the water. Just as he got near to the opposite end of the beach, he could see familiar blonde hair sinking below the waterline. He pushed himself to sprint faster.
     "Masahiro!"
     He ran into the water from the shore where he saw Masahiro sink.
     He thanked his mother silently for the extra swimming classes she has forced him to take as a teenager.
     He got close to the spot where Masahiro was and dived below. He spotted the teen quickly and grabbed him around the waist. He pushed them upwards and back to the shore.
     Masahiro was still breathing but Kousuke could hear some water in his lings when he got closer.
     He rolled Masahiro onto his side and hit him on the back until he coughed the water up.
     After Kousuke was sure he got the water out, he lifted the boy into his arms and carried him to the car.
     He sat him in the passenger seat and grabbed a blanket from his trunk.
     He wrapped the blanket tightly around the boy and turned up the car's heater.
     When color returned to the boy's face and he started shivering again, he made sure the heat was directly on the boy from head to toe and started the car towards home.
     Kousuke changed the boy into a pair of his own sweats and dried off the boy's hair before lying him in bed. Masahiro eyes would flutter open and closed here and there.
     He changed quickly and wrapped himself under the covers with Masahiro. He fell asleep soon after.
     He awoke again to a shifting boy in his arms staring up at him through his eyelashes.
     "Kousuke..."
     "Yes, Masahiro?"
     "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry or get all wet trying to go after me." Masahiro hid his face with his arms. Kousuke gently peeled them away.
     "I don't mind getting soaked if it means protecting my wife from harm. Even if that harm comes from himself."
     "I..." Masahiro didn't know what to say. How could he convey everything he was feeling especially when it was all so conflicting?
"You don't have to say it all right now. All you have to know right now is that I love you Masahiro and no matter what it seemed like or what your thoughts told you it was like, I will never want or love someone other than you. You are my best Masahiro and you always will be."
Masahiro buried his head into Kousuke's chest. Kousuke rubbed his head and hugged him tighter.
     He wanted to make sure his love knew he was here for him and he wasn't going anywhere.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

~1,045 words~
~Hey guys! It's been a suuuuper long time! (I'm not even sure when the last time updated one of my books was!) Sorry it's been such a long time, I got busy with classes, then had major writer's block, then fell into a long depressed swing, and then everything with the coronavirus happened. So it's been way too long and I'm sorry to the people who had ideas that were requested! I'm going to try and hit them now; starting with this one posted by @TeamSoulHeart! I have two more lined up so far for this book specifically. So I'll stop talking now and get to work on the rest of them! Hope everyone is safe!~

~Shipwhatever