problems

"Keep the sling on for at least a week and try to move your arm as little as possible, please. You'll need to think about physiotherapy or your arm is going to suffer permanent damage!"

I nod at the doctor before turning around to my parents ready to leave. They weren't happy at all with how events turned out but the fact that I'm not the one lying in hospital bed right now reassures them.

Francis watches me while I walk back to the recovery hall. I enter the room 007 is stationed in and place myself along the back wall.

He's asleep hooked up to several machines. An IV is providing him with liquids but luckily he's able to breathe on his own.

"He woke up a while ago. He's very sleepy but the doctors said recovery will go fast!", Luise quietly walks over and explains. I nod at her and take a look at 007 for a second before exiting the room.

"River let's go home!", my father speaks with authority in his voice and I nod before following them out the door.

Francis and Don flank us from both sides while we quietly walk out the building. In the entrance hall we meet Agent Halstead who doesn't look too happy either with how the results of today's event.

"You alright? What'd the doctor say?"

"All good."

"We're going to take her home now. She won't be back until she recovers though", my mother looks at both Halstead and me pointedly before  turning around and bidding a quick goodbye.

I clench my jaw but still listen to her and get in the car.

The ride home is silent. No one says a word but I know they are dying to reveal their opinions. With no other option I just sit back and wait for us to get home.

"River, come sit with us in the living room. We want to have a word."

I shakily nod before slowly sitting down and waiting for someone to start talking.

"Firstly, are you okay? Does it hurt bad?"

I shake my head.

"We want you to be safe and we've had this conversation before, we know. But we were told that this mission was supposed to be safe because it consisted of surveillance and nothing more."

So they kept them out of the loop.

"This car accident could have gone very wrong with you lying in that hospital bed instead of the boy. And we don't want to lose you again.

If you prefer the FBI over school than that's fine and we can arrange something but we're a bit confused. When you first got back we assumed you wanted a normal teenage life with  high school and friends but you revealing your scars and stumbling back into dangerous situations at all times telling us 'it's fine' just messes with that image.

We're not making you responsible and we aren't mad but communication is important here, okay?"

I nod again. Communication isn't my strength. People realize it even when they first meet me. For me words are empty. They mean nothing. Promises don't even make their way into my mind anymore.

"River, hey", my father waves his hand in front of my face and I blink for a couple of seconds before turning my eyes back to them.

"Understood."

"So what is it that you want?"

Freedom? For you not to ask me this?

"Catch him, live  on life."

They both nod and exhale.

"So the FBI?"

I shake my head.