Chapter 30 Eustace the dragon

Third pov

Caspian and Edmund helped Amelia down from the place they had climbed up to get further inland. Both felt a bit guilty for what happened inside the cave.

"Thanks." Amelia herself still felt weak after the sickness, but she could also feel the slowly building strenght. If she'd been anywhere but Narnia she would still have been bedridden.

The others were already at the boat with whatever edible they'd been able to find. Rhince looked apologetic when he saw Amelia and Caspian come closer. "This is all we could find. And we weren't sure if this was edible." He pointed to a basket with different roots in it.

Amelia looked them over quickly and picked out a red-pinkish root that stood out against the others. "You can't eat this one unless you're a dragon. Causes hallucinations. The others can be eaten."

Rhince and another man was quick to sort through and remove the once she said couldn't be eaten.

Amelia stood back up.

Caspian wrapped an arm around her in silent appreciation. They needed everything they could eat to avoid the risk of the men turning against them for real.

Lucy was looking around for her currently missing cousin. "Where's Eustace?"

"I believe he's out, not helping us load the boats." Reepicheep answered.

Lucy tried calling out to Eustace and Amelia felt unease grow. Lucy turned to Edmund. "Edmund i got a bad feeling."

Edmund sighed. He could feel it too. "I'll go look for him."

Caspian nodded. "I'll go with you."

Amelia looked around for what she could see. The lingering feeling of a precense in the back of her head hadn't disappeared, but that wasn't the source of her unease. "I'll stay here on the beach. Everyone else should head back to the boat."

Caspian agreed. "Reepicheep, Lucy, get everything back onto the boat. We'll be back as soon as possible."

Amelia heard the rumbling before she was in the air. Claws holding her in a not so steady grip. She screamed and trashed in the claws of the unfamiliar dragon, and she guessed it became too hard to hold her because it dropped her in the water, half way to the boat.

The water was terribly cold when she was first submerged and she hadn't had the time to hold her breath, leaving her sputtering and gasping for air as soon as her head was above the water.

"Lucy! Amelia!"

She heard Edmund scream from the air as the dragon went back towards land.

Amelia swore so she was sure that if her grandmother had heard her, the old woman would've made her eat soap for the foreseeable future.

Just as she started swimming she felt the precense in the back of her mind move and something under the water look up at her.

Familiar eyes that she would have never thought could look at her with such hatred and hunger.

Then they closed and the shadow slithered away towards the island.

"Your Majesty! Are you okay?" Rhince called out to her from one of the boats they had put back into the water.

She nodded. "I think so. Go for the shores, I'll meet you there."

And she began swimming.

As soon as she was up on land she spit out any water in her mouth and tried to get the water out of her hair. Now she could safely say she was thankful for the island being volcanic. It meant it wouldn't take that long for her to dry up.

Lucy ran over to her. "Amelia!"

The older female was dripping wet and looked a little shaken. "I'm fine. Where is Caspia-"

She was interupted by the dragon letting Edmund down before landing himself. Caspian came from further up the beach.

Edmund held his hands up. "Don't shoot! It's Eustace."

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)