Chapter 29 Gold water

Third pov

Two small boats set out from the Dawn Treader.

Amelia, Eustace, Lucy, Edmund, Caspian and two of the crewmen were in one.

"I doubt the lords stopped here, my liege. There's no sing of anything living."

"Right. When we reach the shore take your men and look for food and water. The four of us will search for clues." Caspian replied.

Amelia was quick to add. "Search more east of the island, there should me more edible things there."

Eustace was still hung up on what Caspian had said. "Hang on, you mean the five of us."

Everyone in the boat slowly turned to him with the answer clearly written on their faces.

"Come on, please don't send me back to the rat."

"I heard that." Reepicheep said from his place on the other boat.

Eustace sulked and muttered. "Big ears."

"I heard that too."

The others shared a chuckle.

Once on land Amelia turned to Reepicheep. "East of the island holds more edible things but some of those things happen to be roots, then there should be a small source of water a little further inland."

Reepicheep nodded. "Than you, Your Majesty. The information is much helpful."

After that the Kings and Queens made their way inland. Amelia spotted the rope tied around a big stone sticking out of the ground. "Look, it seems there's been people here after me."

"The lords?"

"Could be."

They walked up to it. And looked down to where the rope was leading.

"Where do you think it goes?" Caspian asked. He threw down a stone that made echoes.

To Amelia it sounded like a cave. "Let's find out."

Edmund was the first to climb down. Amelia second. Caspian third and Lucy last.

Amelia was right, she thought as she looked around the cave. She went over to where Edmund seemed to see something in the water.

Caspian came over, he too being able to see the statue like thing in the water. "What's that?"

"I don't know." Edmund answered. "It looks like some sort of gold statue."

Amelia went over to one of the walls and broke loose one of the dried roots. She used it to try and see how deep the water was. But the places that touched the water started turning to gold and she dropped it when it became to heavy. "Ah!"

Caspian crouched closer to the water to see the statue better. "He must've fallen in."

Lucy frowned. "Poor man."

"You mean, poor lord." Edmund said as he saw the shield with a Telmarine crest in the water.

Caspian looked at it. "The crest of Lord Restimar."

Amelia nudged him and pointed. "And there's his sword."

"We need it." Edmund used his sword to pick the other one up, mindful of the water.

"Your sword hasn't turned to gold." Lucy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Both the swords are magical." Caspian explained as he took the sword that Edmund had gotten up from the deadly water.

"He mustn't have known what hit him."

Amelia felt a chill as she saw something flash in Edmunds eyes. "Maybe." He put his sword down. "Or maybe he was onto something."

Caspian watched him crouch back by the water. "What are you talking about?"

Edmund dipped a shell into the water and they watched it turn to gold.

Amelia was growing increasingly worried about the look in Edmunds eyes. "Ed, what are you staring at?"

The greed could be clearly seen in his eyes. "Whoever has access to this pool could be the most powerful person in the world. Lucy, we'd be so rich. No one could tell us what to do, or who to live with."

Amelia felt like Caspian would be the voice of reason when he spoke.

"You can't take anything out of Narnia, Edmund."

"Says who?"

"I do."

Amelia had an iron grip on the hilt of her sword.

Edmund stood up, sword in one hand and shell in the other. "I'm not your subject."

"You've been waiting for this haven't you? To challenge me? You doubt my leadership?"

And there all Amelia's hope of having Caspian help as a voice of reason disappeared.

"You doubt yourself."

"You're a child!"

"You're a spineless sap!"

Lucy tried to interfere. "Edmund."

Edmund roughly shoom her off. "I'm tired of playing second fiddle. First it was Peter and now it's you! You know I'm braver than both of you! Why did you get Peter's sword? I deserve a kingdom of my own. I deserve to rule!"

While Edmund ranted Amelia shared a look with Lucy and unsheated her sword.

"If you think you're so brave, prove it!"

Their swords where stopped from clashing by Amelia's as she used a dirty trick she'd learned to break up fights. It made her sword tangle together with the others in a way that only she could let go.

Her muscles screamed in protest at the movement but she held still as Lucy talked. "Stop it! Both of you. Can't you see what's happening?"

The greedy and crazed looks seemed to recede a bit.

"This place has tempted you. It's bewitching you. This is exactly what Coriakin was talking about. Let's just get out of here."

When Amelia deemed it safe she let the swords go and sheated hers. This had been more of a work out than she'd expected.

She was quick to follow Lucy up from the cave. Anything to be out of there and she couldn't help but feel unbelievably lucky that she hadn't encountered the water alone all those years ago.

Once up she stretched her shoulders. Nodding when Lucy askex if she was alright. "Yeah. Just a little sore."

When the two Kings came up after they looked a bit ashamed for falling for the waters temptation.

The two girls decided that the argument was something they needed to figure out themselves.

Later Amelia decided that a new name would be in order for the island.

Deathwater Island.

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)