Chapter 23 Dufflepuds

Third pov

It took another two days before they reached another island. Amelia was happy to stretch her legs on dry land. Even if it meant pushing up Eustace lessons.

They sat up their sleeping places.

Amelia had hers right beside Caspian.

After almost everyone had fallen asleep.

She hadn't, thoughts plauging her mind as she tried. She loved being back in Narnia and she loves Caspian. But old insecurities can hold on strong.

What if he changed his mind?

What if he found someone less like her, more feminine and decided that's what he wants?

Like as if he knew what she was thinking she heard his sleepy voice from where he laid. "Can't sleep?"

She shook her head and he held out a hand to her. "Come 'ere."

She hesitated but did come over to him.

Caspian didn't hesitate to pull her against him, putting one of his arms around her protectively. Her head laid on his chest. "I don't know what worries you, but i won't be going anywhere."

In the early hours of morning several invisible creatures came.

"Seems they've brought a pig." One remarked as they heard Eustace snore.

Another looked at Lucy. "This one's a female."

"So is this one." Another looked at Gael.

And another that had found Amelia and Caspian spoke. "There is a female here too, but a male is holding her."

The pages of Lucy's book moved. "This one reads. Let's take her."

Lucy woke in terror as something lifted her up and carried her away.

Time skip

Caspian woke first and managed to move Amelia as she slept so that he could stand up.

To his alarm he could see several gigantic footsteps in the sand around them. And the fact that Lucy wasn't on there did not help.

He was quick to shake Edmunds shoulder since he's the closest. "Ed. Ed."

Ed woke up and looked around, he too seeing the footsteps. His head snapped to his sisters place so fast that it looked like it hurt. "Lucy!"

The men started to wake fast and Drinian drove them on a little faster.

Amelia got up quickly and pulled the leather armor she had on. It was a standard one they all wore and they protected what needed to be protected in a fight.

She let Gael and Rhince run before her until they came to a place with strange bushes.

Edmund picked up Lucy's dagger. "Lucy's dagger."

Wodden spears landed in the grass all around them and Amelia drew her sword. Though it was quickly ripped out of her hands and she was thrown to the ground beside Rhince and Gael.

Rhince gave her a hand. "Are you okay, Your Majesty?"

She nodded. "I'm fine." Just as she said that both she and Rhince were pushed back by something hitting them in the chest.

"What kind of creatures are you?" Caspian asked. He had also been hit in the chest by something as soon as he tried standing.

"We're terrifying creatures with the body of a tiger and...."

"The head of a different tiger."

The voices answered. "You don't want to mess with us."

Amelia couldn't help it as she got up from the ground. "Or what?"

"Or I'll claw you to death."

"And I'll run my tusks right through you."

As they talked they were slowly becoming visible and Amelia realized what the creatures actually are.

Dufflepuds.

"And I'll gnash you with my teeth."

"And I'll bite you with me fangs. Grrr." One tried to growl at them.

Amelia could barely hold it together. And Edmunds comment did it as her chuckles started breaking through.

"You mean squash us with your fat bellies?"

"Yes!" One agreed without thinking while another looked confused. "Fat bellies?"

"Tickle us with your toes?" Caspian added.

Amelia broke into full blown laughter along with a few others.

The chief of the Dufflepuds fell when the two carrying his foot dropped him.
Drinian had one sword pointed at his back and Edmund pointed his at him from the front. "What have you done to my sister, you little pipsqueak?"

The chiefs eyes crossed as he looked at the point of the blade. "Now, calm down."

"Where is she?"

After the other Dufflepuds voiced their opinions the chief said. "In the mansion." His eyes briefly went to the left where they couldn't see anything.

"What mansion?" the sound of doors opening drew their attention as a giant mansion became visible. "Oh. That mansion."

Amelia just shook her head. "I should not be surprised."

They could hear Eustace voice as he came through the bushes. "I'm really getting tired of you all leaving me behi--" He stopped once he saw the Dufflepuds and their big foot on their bodies.

Two of them looked at him. "It's the pig." "The pig's come back."

Eustace made a face of distaste. "This place is just getting weirder and weirder."

Some of the Dufflepuds looked offended. "He's calling us weird?"

Collected shouts of "The Opressor." Came from them as an older man and Lucy stepped out of the house.

The two stopped in front of Edmund, Amelia and Caspian and the older man bowed. "Your Majesties."

Lucy introduced them. "Caspian, Edmund and Amelia. This is Coriakin, it's his island."

"That's what he thinks."

Amelia nearly jumped at the couce almost right behind her.

"You have wronged us, Magician."

Coriakin's expression told them this was not the first time this argument had taken place. "I have not wronged you. I told you, i made you invisible for your own protection."

"Protection?"
"That's opressive!"
"Opressor!"

"I have not opressed you."

"But you could have, if you wanted to."

The Dufflepuds logic made Amelia chuckle. Caspian couldn't blame his fianceé for finding the situation amusing, he did too.

Coriakin threw something white at them and they scurried away.

Eustace looked confused. "What were those things?"

Coriakin answered without looking back. "They are Dufflepuds." Was all he said as he led some of them inside.

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)