Forbidden Chapter Thirteen

We've breached the cursed thirteen! Let's do this!

============================================

"Do not speak to anyone of our departure. Do you understand, Flora?"

"Y-yes, Milord Xander..." The blue-haired maid spoke with a meek tone, simply handing the reins of Xander's Horse and Camilla's Wyvern to their respective owners with a respective nod.

"And please ensure that no one even discovers our departure, alright?" Camilla finished afterward, not even breaking her sentence as she climbed onto the back of her Wyvern, the beast letting out a short sigh before stretching out its wings and letting out a gruff growl.

"U-uh, o-of course, Lady Camilla!" Felicia practically shouted before covering her mouth with one hand, seemingly surprised at her own outburst.

"Why can't I come?!" Elise harshly whispered, her fists tightly clenched and her arms stiff at her sides as she mustered as much of a glare as she could at her elder siblings. "He's my brother, too! I wanna help find him and make sure he's okay!" Xander sighed, having already gotten into the saddle of his horse, his reins already gripped tightly in his hands before he turned to look at his baby sister.

"Elise, listen to me. It's far too dangerous for you to traverse these areas. Not only are there all sorts of beasts and wild animals out there, but there could be Hoshidan's in hiding, knowing what has happened with Leo's disappearance and waiting for us so they could ambush us. You have to stay here for your own safety."

Tears began to well up in the young girl's eyes as she stared directly at Xander, the worst thoughts possible filling her mind as she imagined her brother's body littered with arrows or perhaps even torn open and his ribcage exposed as he was left to be scavenger scraps for the bears and lions. Of course, Elise knew that Leo was far too strong and clever to let such a fate befall him, but the poor girl couldn't contain or suppress these thoughts.

She couldn't help herself. Falling to her knees, she covered her face and began to sob uncontrollably.

She didn't even register Camilla's sympathetic sigh. "Elise, darling... we will be back, and Leo will be with us, safe and sound. I swear it. But please, just for now, stay here so we know you're safe, alright?"

Elise could feel Flora's hand fall onto her shoulder in a comforting manner. She sniffled for a moment before nodding her head. "Y-yes, big sister..."

Xander said no more to her, turning towards Camilla and sending her a nod before gripping Siegfried in his right hand tightly. "Survey from the skies, Camilla. We need to find him before dawn."

Turning towards her brother, she took an axe in hand and nodded. "Understood, Xander."

And just like that, in the blink of an eye, the pair rode off, Camilla disappearing into the clouds while Xander vanished over the horizon.

Closing her eyes, Elise took a deep breath. "Flora. Felicia. Please, get my horse ready."

"B-but Lady Elise, Lord Xander said--" Felicia began, not getting much wording in before she was cut off by Elise turning to her with the most hurtful look the girl had ever seen.

"Please! My brother is out there all alone! I have to help find him! I promise I'll be back before Xander and Camilla are! No one has to know! Please!" Tears began to well up in her eyes again, eventually spilling onto her cheeks as she stared at the twins with big, round amethyst eyes.

Flora sighed. "Very well, Milady. However, if you aren't back before they are... I will tell them the truth."

"That's fine!" Elise almost sang, springing to her feet. "Please, get my horse ready, I'll be back down in five minutes!" Both of the girls nodded at her as she twisted on her heel and bolted inside, heading for her room. Right there, on her desk, was both her healing staff and a novice spell tome. Although Leo had been teaching her how to cast spells whenever he could, she wasn't entirely sure just how to do it confidently just yet. But, in her mind, it was a weapon, the only type she had any knowledge of using, and any form of self-defense was better than none. Grabbing both of them, she bolted back downstairs and outside, both Felicia and Flora sitting there with worried, yet calm expressions on their faces as Flora held the reins to a horse that was way too big for the young girl, but it was her faithful companion, never letting her down in battle or simple leisure enjoyment once. The two maids helped the young girl to mount the beast, Elise letting out a shaky sigh once she was seated comfortably. Turning towards the maids, she nodded.