eighteen

time went by. your feelings for jeongguk faded into distant memories along with the moments with him.

as you became closer to taehyung, so did your friends. eventually, it almost seemed like the six of you had replaced jeongguk. the thought sent an odd discomfort up your spine but you shrugged it off.

people come and go. jeongguk left, taehyung came. they're different people.

college ended eventually and your life went on.

"are you coming tonight?" jimin hopped over to your table excitedly.

taehyung stabbed a piece of steak on his plate and offered it to you, "what's tonight?"

"it's been two years since we graduated. tonight's the reunion, aren't you coming?"

you lifted your head at the sound of the reunion and sighed, "i forgot about it, but i'll come."

you turned to taehyung with shock plastered on your face. "the prince of the school isn't even making it for the reunion?"

taehyung frowned when you rejected his steak offering and he ate it. "i didn't know about it."

jimin looked at the two of you impatiently. "you'll both come right? hoseok's coming too."

you nodded and you both stared at taehyung expectantly. "fine," he muttered.

you arrived at the building with jimin and hoseok. hoseok had become a professional dancer and was much busier lately—making you unable to see him often.

his face hasn't changed much but you his aura had become even brighter, like the air around him lit up.

the two of them were hopping with excitement. at the thought of seeing all our friends from years ago.

as you two stepped in you started searching for taehyung, who said he'd meet the rest of you there.

your eyes wander over a bunch of faces, familiar and unfamiliar. your eyes finally landed on taehyung, sitting in the midst of a crowd.

he swirled a drink in his hands. his lazy eyes darted back and forth from people in boredom, a polite smile on his face that never reached the dim light in his eyes.

you thought back to a few years ago, the way he was constantly surrounded and still managed to a patient smile at everyone.

that time felt like so long ago, when you didn't know taehyung and you were just another person looking at him from afar.

your eyes met from across the room and you realized you'd been staring. he motioned for you to go over and you awkwardly shuffled your feet towards the other people, many of whom you didn't even remember.

you and taehyung went outside where there were less people.

the moon casted a pale light across the garden behind the building, blending with the yellow light twinkling from the fairy lights lining the railings for decoration. it was quiet, aside from the distant sound of talking inside the building, all you could hear was the sound of bugs and wind from outside.

"i can't believe it's been so long," taehyung mumbled, leaning on the railing as he stared out at a sea of flowers.

he stared off into space, lost in thought. a chill ran up your back from the windy air. "it's cold i'm going to head inside. come find me when you're done," you realize she was still in thought and turned around to leave when your hand was suddenly enveloped in warmth.

"wait," you turned around, your eyes meeting taehyung's. he had an odd expression on his face, one you'd never seen before.

"whats wrong?"

he looked at you silently for a moment before he spoke up, "it's been years since we met." you nodded, giving him an odd look. "will you date me?"

your eyes widened and your mouth opened, but no words would come out. he looked at you expectantly. you could see how anxious asking this made him.

when you were finally able to make a sound, you suddenly heard a voice yelling at the two of you.

taehyung's jaw tightened as he looked up at hoseok who was staring at the two of you, "come inside. there's a surprise." you could hear him yelling from the door of the building.

taehyung sighed, dropping your hand as he started taking long strides towards the door. you watched his back leaving, his figure lonely beneath the lights hanging above him.

you went after him and hoseok, the building even more crowded than it had been when you'd arrived.

you finally saw taehyung—along with a group of other people—looking at something. you made your way towards them, slipping between people as you tried to see what everyone's attention was on.

when you finally got through the crowd you froze. your eyes widened and you blinked them, thinking you were imagining things.

standing near the doorway, talking to jimin, was someone you thought you'd never see again. you blinked again and eventually realize
you weren't imagining. jeongguk had actually come back.