one

the yells from downstairs were starting to make your head pound, the voices getting louder with each of your parent's retorts. you stuck your headphones in your ears, covering your head with your pillow as you buried yourself deeper into the blankets.

you laid there for about 30 minutes, staring at the ceiling and rolling around as you tried to drown out the yells from below. everytime the song ended you could hear their faint voices, quieter now, but you knew it wasn't over.

staring at the ceiling got boring quickly. you slid out of bed and put on a hoodie and shoes before sneaking downstairs, quietly slipping out the backdoor were your parents, arguing in the living room, wouldn't notice. the winter breeze was bitter as it stung against your skin as you walked aimlessly through the streets. you didn't know where you were going as you continued going wherever you wanted, talking lefts and rights as you wound around buildings.

after a while of walking you finally felt the tiredness starting to seep into your already-down mood. suddenly you felt a splash on the top of your head, you hadn't checked the weather forecast before you left the house so now you were stranded at some unknown part of town without an umbrella and it was starting to rain. luckily, most of the buildings were still open and you went into one that was lit up brightly and seemed lively.

the second you stepped into the building, your eyes widened. further into the building there were lights flashing everywhere and a live band. people were sitting around at tables talking, listening to music, dancing, doing whatever they wanted to do to be content at the moment.

you walked to a table off to the side, it was hidden in the shadows more and was one of the only few empty tables in the building. you could still see the band from where you were sitting so you sat back comfortably, watching the band.

after a few songs you had resorted to observing other people in the building or scrolling through stuff on your phone. you only looked up when the lights suddenly dimmed, your eyes immediately shooting to the stage for some unknown reason. your eyes reached the stage just in time to see a different singer walking to the center, sitting on the chair the other had been sitting on before.

the crowd had suddenly gone silent, everyone's eyes watching the guy that had just gone up. after a few moments the band started playing music again, this time the melody was much softer.

the softness of the melody was starting to make you sleepy, as if it was a lullaby. but your eyes suddenly flew open when you heard an even softer voice. your eyes landed on the guy in the middle of the stage. his voice was airy but clear, it was high and perfect, the lyrics smoothly dripping from his voice like honey.

you could tell he was singing this with a purpose, his eyes trained on one certain place as he sang the heartwarming lyrics.