Chapter Thirty

"What the hell, Liv?" Liam demanded

"What the hell, Liv?" Liam demanded. "You can't just go accusing people of murder like that!"

I crossed my arms over my chest defiantly. "I didn't say Ryan killed her. But you didn't see her, Liam. Daniella was terrified of Ryan in the hospital."

"Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions, Olivia?" Ryan had one eyebrow raised in question.

He didn't appear afraid or even slightly worried. Probably because he knew that if I genuinely thought he was guilty, the room would be on fire.

"She jumped away from you like you'd hit her, Ryan." I crossed one leg over the other and watched his response. "To me, that means you look quite a bit like her attacker. I'm not saying it was you. Just that he looks like you."

Liam let out a low hum of understanding. "That makes sense." He turned his gaze to the Irish boy beside me and took in his appearance before commenting, "So we're looking for a blonde chap who takes steroids?"

I groaned in irritation, then paused to consider his proposal. "Well... I guess it doesn't have to be that specific of a description. Maybe just his hair colour and stature would do?"

"Wait, wait, wait." Ryan broke into our conversation. "That hardly narrows it down. There must be tonnes of people our age with blonde hair and perfectly natural muscles."

He practically growled the last part, and I refrained from pointing out that he wasn't mine and Liam's age. Probably because he looked angry enough already that Liam thought he had cheated to gain his monstrous physique.

Liam scoffed. "Not really, no. There's like one gym here, and it has a treadmill and maybe two dumbbells. So, unless someone is hiding a spectacular home fitness set, you're the only one who could take on a bear in a cage match and win."

I tried not to laugh, but when Ryan's eyes widened to the size of saucers at Liam's cage match comment, a giggle escaped my lips.

Ryan turned to me with a glare, his green eyes flashing with resentment, and I shrugged in response as if to say, what can you do?.

"So, what do you suggest then, Liam?" Ryan ground out between clenched teeth, with his eyes still trained on me. The anger in his gaze dulled to reluctant amusement at Liam's antics.

Liam pretended to ponder Ryan's question for a few seconds before replying. "Well, not that I don't appreciate you looking after Liv here for a while, but I think your services are no longer required."

There was a stroke of silence where I forgot to breathe, before Ryan's lips twitched, and I realised that he wasn't annoyed.

"Is that so?" he joked, but Liam was undeterred.

"Mhmm," Liam hummed. "I think this is a best-friends-only situation, and I'm sorry, but you don't make the cut."

"Liam," I berated him quietly.

Liam's behaviour was surprising. Not because of its bitchy backhanded quips—those I was used to. Usually, when Liam made these kinds of comments, I could tell he was joking. But the squared set of his shoulders and the tightness of his back as he stared Ryan down made his dislike of my companion clear. Liam didn't want Ryan anywhere near the situation, but I had no idea why.

I don't know if it was because I'd grown to trust Ryan, or because I'd promised him he could keep an eye on me, but I defended his presence.

"Liam, c'mon," I mumbled. "He's been a great help so far. Honestly."

Mine and Liam's eyes' locked as we argued silently. Unfortunately, before I had a chance to stare him into submission, Ryan interrupted us.

"Does the owner of the secret hideout get a vote?" he asked, with one eyebrow raised.

Liam swung his head toward him and barked a "no", to which Ryan raised his hands in surrender.

"I actually think you should go home, Liam," I suggested and immediately regretted it as horror spread across my best friend's face. Liam opened his mouth to reply, eyes wide with surprise, and I shook my head to silence him. "This isn't some murder-mystery novel, Liam. This is my life. A girl is dead, and you shouldn't be anywhere near it."

"Then why does he get to help?" Liam whined, pointing at Ryan. "He's known you for less than a week, but he gets to take you on high-speed police chases. I've known you for over ten years, and I should go home and hang out with my mum?"

"Yes," I said. "That's exactly what you should do."

"What's so special about him?" Liam rounded on me, his face contorted with exasperation.

I cringed. For a moment, I wanted nothing more than to reply with the truth.

Well, actually, you know that aunt of mine that killed all those people? We're more than related, we're the same person. If I wanted to, I could burn you to a crisp at any moment because I'm being punished for her sins. And that huge guy over there you don't want me anywhere near? Well, he's contractually obliged by the rules of his secret cult to stick to my side like an annoying baby sitter. Except, I'm not sure I see him as a brother, and that terrifies me more than my destiny to be a flame-throwing monster.

Instead, I said, "It's... complicated."

Sensing that the situation was getting out of hand, Ryan stepped between us, as if hoping the barrier of his body would dissolve the tension.

"Why don't we all stay the night and discuss it in the morning?" he suggested weakly.

"Yeah, magnificent idea. If the police don't find us before dawn, we can plot our next move." I scoffed.

"Yeah. Sure. Whatever. Let's have a sleepover." Liam liked the idea as much as I did.

"There's just one problem," Ryan blurted out. "We will have to draw straws over who gets the bed."