Chapter Fourteen

Eventually, we reached the cinema, and as we approached the main entrance, a rich Irish accent called out Ryan's name

Eventually, we reached the cinema, and as we approached the main entrance, a rich Irish accent called out Ryan's name. The intrusion brought me and Liam to a pause, and Ryan caught up with us but continued past where we stood. When he arrived before the man that had spoken, they embraced.

"Hi Dad," Ryan said.

My mouth formed a small 'o' when Ryan spoke. My dad had his wires crossed when he gossiped about Ryan's family; his parents weren't absent after all. And if Dad had seen Ryan's father, he might have thought twice before spreading gossip about him. I should have known who he was immediately. Not only did his voice have the same subtle Irish twang, but they looked incredibly alike. Seeing them together, I could tell that in a few years they'd be mistaken for twins. They had the same unkempt, dusty-blonde hair, but his father towered over him, and Ryan wasn't exactly short. If he grew to be anywhere near his father's height, Ryan would be a giant.

Liam and I watched as Ryan's father took him over to one side, and I couldn't help but wonder what they were discussing that required privacy.

No, I told myself. Don't become a gossip like your father.

I saw Mr Murray raise two fingers, and Ryan nod in reply. My eyebrows rose in confusion.

What on earth could they be talking about?

Soon, the conversation grew heated, with Ryan throwing his hands into the air in frustration at something his dad said. They looked over in our direction, and I felt Liam shift his gaze to the ground, embarrassed at having been caught snooping. I, however, held my eyes steady as if sizing up a predator.

I didn't know what brought about this carnal reaction, but I knew my appraisal was necessary. Something deep inside me whispered that Mr Murray was my enemy. I failed to silence the voice as it taunted me, increasing in volume the longer I held the man's gaze.

Slowly, his lips tilted upward into a smirk as if he could hear my inner voice too. My back stiffened, and I felt the hair on my arms raise. My fight-or-flight response kicked in, and I chose flight.

I looked away, turning my face into Liam's chest, and he threw an arm around me in response.

"Ryan's dad is intimidating, isn't he?" Liam whispered, laying his chin on top of my head.

"Yeah. Something like that."

I heard footsteps approach but didn't look up. The sound was too light to have come from Ryan's scarily large father, so I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Ryan's scuffed trainers' step into view.

"Sorry about that," he muttered. "Dad was just letting me know that he and Mum are going out tonight, so I shouldn't wait up. Wanna go inside?"

I didn't believe they were discussing their evening plans for one second.

I felt Liam nod as he shuffled me out of his arms. "Did you hear that Liv? It's nacho time!"

I performed an exaggerated clap of excitement, eliciting a grin from my best friend. Ryan shook his head in abject disapproval. Even though his lips were set in a thin line, I could tell he struggled not to smile.