A different kind of bond

He didn't go home that night. Instead, he chose to wait for the dawn to come.

_

A chakra signal from behind alerted him of another's presence.

He turned around and was faced with an ANBU member. "The Hokage has asked for you". The masked ninja gave him the message, before disappearing, leaving him alone once more.

The bright sky gave him no comfort as he glanced up at it.

_

The walk to the Hokage Tower didn't take long. This time, he didn't wish to use his seal to go there... He felt too weakened to do even that. So, once he reached her office, he knocked and received a 'come in' in reply. The door let out a low creak as he pushed it forward and went in, slowly closing it behind himself.

He glanced at the Hokage, not even looking at the other occupants of the room. "Why have you asked for me?" His voice came out more quiet than he wanted to, but she managed to hear it.

"I have important news to tell you all". She glanced at his, he didn't even know what to call them any more, former Team 7 teammates and him as she said that. "Orochimaru has died". Her words clearly resounded through the office. "And it would seem that Uchiha Sasuke killed him". She continued a moment later.

Akashi didn't know how to feel about that... Orochimaru was dead, which was a good things, but... What will Sasuke do now? There was no way he was going to go back to the village after that... No way...

"Is... is that... really true?" Naruto asked, baby-blue eyes wide in disbelief.

"There's no doubt about it". Jiraiya answered his question. "I heard it from a reliable source of information". He added, looking at the boy in front of him.

"So then...". Sakura's voice trembled as she said those words and Akashi glanced at her. Her eyes were already glistening with tears. A laugh from besides her made Akashi shift his attention to Naruto.

"I knew there was no way he'd ever let himself get killed by Orochimaru!" He nonchalantly crossed his arms behind his head, a grin on his face. "So that means Sasuke's coming back to Konoha, right?" He excitedly asked as he leaned forward, looking at Tsunade. "Right?" He glanced at Jiraiya. The redhead next to him scoffed and turned to look out of the window.

"You are as naive as you have always been... Sasuke is not coming back...". Naruto snapped around to look at him, eyes narrowed in disagreement. Akashi didn't turn to look at him, he just blankly stared out of the window, watching as the birds chirped their life away... Watching as they spread their wings and flew away...

Free...

"He is right". Jiraiya spoke up, agreeing with Akashi.

"What's the meaning of this?" Naruto asked, staring intensely at the two people in front of him. "Why isn't he returning to the village now that Orochimaru's dead?" He demanded the answer.

"Sasuke has been obsessed with revenge". Jiraiya said. "In order to kill Uchiha Itachi, he must get closer to Akatsuki". He explained, making Naruto grit his teeth in anger.

"That bastard...". He bit out through clenched teeth. "Still? Damn!" He exclaimed and Akashi finally glanced back at him.

How was it that he was still trying? How was it that he still had the strength to try? How did he do it? How was he so positive? How? Just how? Akashi couldn't understand why Naruto would try so much for a person who did not wish to be in his presence. Why does he try so much? He knew he would never understand how the blond was feeling.