The cat let out a yowl and Beldon quickly got off him.

“Forgive me, did I hurt you!?” he asked.

“He’s perfectly fine, don’t you worry, sir,” Iago said calmly, waving a hand and all the doors to the room swung shut.

Jasper turned then and Beldon blinked. He really was a tabby cat, a big furry white and orange tabby with a most disgruntled expression. Beldon stared at him for a moment, then couldn’t help but laugh, putting a hand to his mouth.

“It’s not funny!” Jasper snapped, highly affronted.

“No, of course not, I apologise,” Beldon said, smiling, “Here.” He reached forwards and gently smoothed the fur out. “I’m sorry for the rough greeting; I just wanted to speak to you.”

Jasper looked at him suspiciously. “About what? Are you still hurting badly?”

“No, nothing like that,” Beldon said.

“Here, sir, have a seat,” Iago said, straightening some of the cushions for him on one of the sofas. Beldon stood up and sat down, gesturing for the other two to sit when they stood to attention. Jasper hopped up onto a chair and sat down – like a person – while Iago remained standing beside Beldon’s seat.

“I wanted you to ask about The Beast.”

“The Beast?” Jasper repeated, shocked, “Is that how you refer to The Master?”

“I do not consider him my master,” Beldon said calmly, resting his cheek on his knuckles. “So yes. I wanted to ask why he still has such raw wounds on his face.”

“He has wounds?” Jasper asked, and by Beldon’s look of surprise, Jasper knew he was telling the truth. He sighed, shaking his head. “Well that would explain why he has not removed his hood when around us since that night in the forest. Oh The Master is so stubborn.” He sighed again, resting a paw against his forehead and Beldon rested his fingers across his mouth to hide his smile.

He closed his eyes and cleared his throat, calming himself before opening his eyes again. “The creams you used on my back, may I have some more?”

Jasper looked up, concerned. “You’re wounds have reopened?”

“No, but I would like some all the same.”

“I can apply some more tonight, as normal,” Jasper said but Beldon shook his head.

“No, all I want is the cream,” he said calmly, crossing his legs. Jasper looked at him, then glance at Iago. Whatever gesture Iago gave, it made Jasper shrug.

“Very well, I shall leave the cream in your room.” He hoped off the sofa and trotted towards the door, his tail in the air, but then stopped, looking back. “The Master will not take kindly to your interference with anything concerning his face,” he warned before leaving with a final swish of the tail.

Beldon watched him go, then finally laughed. “A cat, who would have thought?” he said standing up.

“You do not have to concern yourself with The Master’s wellbeing,” Iago said, opening the door wide for Beldon as he made to leave.

“I know,” Beldon said, walking out and continuing along his way to the music room. “But he was hurt because of me, I do owe him.”

“Not many people would think they owe their captor anything,” Iago pointed out.

“I didn’t until he saved my life.”

“Though he caused your flight from the castle?”

“Though he caused it,” Beldon confirmed.