Chapter 15

Walking into the room, I didn't expect the scene before me, it looked nothing like the ones in the movies. There was a double mirror, showing the bigger man, Louis, looking around the room, waiting, extremely impatient, then there was a few small, older T.V's on the wall, showing the room beside us from all angles. The cameras were so good, you could even hear Louis' shallow breathing.

  "Well, I was kinda hoping you kids could stay in here while I went in there and tried again, I want you to pay strict attention, see any signs of him twitching, or reacting to any kind of question. If that doesn't work... well, you kids wouldn't mind going in there, me right in here in case he does anything rash, of course." She straightened her badge on her jacket, emphasizing her point. 

  "No, no, we don't mind, do we Casey, Jess?" Cam spoke up, before I could reject. I glared at him, but he didn't even turn his head.

  "Uh, no, I guess not." Jess said softly, then looked toward me.

  "No, ma'am." I breathed, and she smiled.

  "Great, I'll just go in now. Remember, pay attention." She huffed, then walked out of the door, appearing behind the double mirror a few seconds later.

  Cam walked forward and pressed a small button on the control pad. It clicked, then blinked red.

  "Cam, you can't just touch things!" I whispered, while walking forward, my hand extended, as if that would do anything now.

  He chuckled. "I was just making sure it wasn't muted, you wanna hear what they're saying?"

  I blushed, and looked toward the pretty officer and Louis. She was trying to get him to talk, but he wasn't budging. She sighed, and walked away from him, toward the mirror. She stopped in front of it, and it looked as if she was looking right at me. Time to pay attention.

  "So, you feel like telling me your name yet?" She pressed, turning back toward him.

  Louis just glared. She went on.

  "Look, I don't really wanna get officers in here to just take you to jail, if you didn't do anything to break the law, but I'll have to if you don't speak up." She threatened.

  He stayed quiet.

  She sighed loudly, then left the room, almost slamming the door behind her. They looked toward the door, awaiting her return, but I turned back to Louis. He was looking straight at the mirror, almost right at me. I gulped, and turned back to the door just as she was entering.

  "Look, I can't get him to say one word, maybe if you go in one at a time, he'll say SOMETHING. He has to, he can't just NOT speak. Ugh." She groaned, and sat in the only chair in front of the control pad.

  "I'll go, he's no threat to me." I said, already backing toward the door, desperate for an escape. I needed to talk to this man, why won't he speak?

  "No, I forbid you to do so, this man is a danger to us, he could harm you, let me go, he won't lay one finger on me." Jess said, already trying to take my hand and pull me back. I eased out of his hold, and stepped out of the door without a backwards glance. 

   I put my hand on the handle, but I couldn't force myself to open it. I wanted to go in here, I wanted to talk to this man, he was no danger to me. Then why couldn't I open the door?

  The door opened, and expecting Jess, I propped open the door to tell him to go back, and let me do this. I didn't need him breathing over my shoulder every second of every day. I was my own person.

  Out stepped Cam, and with the door wide open, in seeing range of Louis, I froze. Cam stopped in front of me, and looked into my eyes, not saying one word. What was he doing?