Chapter 11

Nurse Sarah shuffled in the room, placed a clear plastic cup of water, with a bent straw on the table nearest me. She smiled, and placed the back of her hand on my forehead. Without even a flinch of emotion, she nodded one curt nod, and strolled out of the room. 

  I sighed, and looked back at Cam and Jess, sound asleep on the long couch in the corner. 

   After taking one long drink of water, I twisted my body to the side, and pulled myself up into a sitting position, then glanced around the room for the first time. 

  The walls were pale, almost a peach color, with a hint of orange. No pictures on the wall, except one little picture above the door frame. A rose in a vase, leaning down slightly. You look to the left, and you see the big Burgundy couch, holding two teenage boys at the moment. Beside that, a small table, with nothing on top. Looking to the right, I sighed. My empty cup sat in the middle of my bedside table, Further away, a long window with a window seat and ledge were full of flowers and cards from the previous patient in this room, and some for me from Jess and Cam from the gift shop downstairs. A card reading, "With love, always, to my sister." from Jess, along with a bouquet of different types of flowers, and a big, purple teddy bear holding a heart, reading, "Feel better!" from Cam. I sighed again.

  Cam groaned from the couch, and rolled over, tossing himself on the floor. He sat up immediately, and I broke into loud guffaws of laughter, and after looking at me, then at the couch, he joined me. Jess sat up and rubbed his eyes. He looked at us laughing, and started giggling. 

  "What happened? Why am I laughing?" Jess said between giggles. 

  "Cam... fell!" I managed. 

 Jess started laughing along with us. Cam and Jess glanced at each other briefly, then looked away as if the encounter never happened. My laughter slowed.

  Just then an elderly male nurse came into the room, a bright smile on his face, showing off those straight, pearl whites. 

  "Morning, I'm here for your daily exam, if it shows good marks, you'll be free to go home. " He smiled again, and flipped a page on his clipboard, "I'll be asking you a few questions, then a nurse will be coming in to take a few tests, then after getting a little food in you, you'll be free to go." 

  He dragged a chair from outside of the room, and brought in to the right of my bed. Groaning, he sat down, and took out a pen from behind his ear. 

  "Now, Casey, do you remember anything before you fainted?" He pressed.

  I glanced at Cam, he nodded, as well as Jess, who did the same. So, I sighed, and got ready for the story.

 "Yes, I was at the police station, I found out some... information, and then I blacked out. That's all I remember." Which wasn't entirely true, but what does he have to know? 

 He nodded, jotted something down, and continued on to the next question. 

  "I see, if you can give us your parents number, we'd be happy to contact them to get you home safely." He said without looking up. 

  I bit my lip, and looked to Jess, asking for some help. I hoped he understood. 

  With a sigh of relief, he spoke to the Nurse, "We cannot give you that, Doc. Sorry, but we don't know their numbers. We'll be getting home safely enough, thank you for the offer, though." 

 I gasped, I've never seen him speak so rudely. He turned his head, and winked at me, with a smirk on his face. 

  I nodded. He was only trying to save us, if anyone found out about Avrey, innocent people could die. I didn't know what I would do if that ever happened, and because of me!