Chapter 18

Cam and I didn't move for awhile, staring into each others eyes was our time passing. No words came out, I just slid into Cam's already open arms. He sighed, and was the first one to talk for awhile.

  "We'll find him Casey, don't worry." He whispered into my ear, before kissing it. Every now and then, he would lean down and kiss my ear, my cheek, but never my lips, for that would be too much for me in my already weak state.

  He pulled me along into our little prison, even Sam couldn't stop them from putting us there for the next few nights, until someone found somewhere else for us to go. Sam suggested a hotel not to far from here, but Cam said no before I could even think. When I asked him later on, he said he wanted to stay at a safe place, so if Avrey were to find us, he wouldn't be getting away again.

  When the guard left that night, Cam and I did our usual nightly routine, but it was somehow different. As we pushed our beds together, instead of having them spaced apart the normal 2 feet, estimated, he pushed his all the way into mine. 

  I raised my eyes at him, questioning his actions, and he shrugged, "Just wanted to be closer to you, that's all. The nights are getting colder." He winked, then went to stand by the bars again, waiting for everyone to lock up.

  I've noticed a few more people that were coming into the police station wearing small jackets, someone was even wearing gloves once, but I think that was going too far. People have been changing their shorts for pants, their small tanks for sweaters. The nights were becoming darker, fall was coming. 

  I sighed, and crawled into my side of the bed, covering myself up to my chin. Minutes later, Cam was crawling in after me, sliding in close. I felt his body heat, and pushed myself backwards into his chest. He wrapped his long arms around my stomach. I've never felt more protected in my life.

  I turned my body so we were facing each other, and stared into his beautiful blue eyes, and he stared back into my green ones. He smiled slightly, making it look crooked. 

  "What are we going to do?" I whispered, looking straight into his eyes for his reaction.

  "What do you mean?" He answered, and I rolled my eyes.

  "About Jess, what if we don't find him, we're not going to give up right? But it'll just take us so much longer to get home. I don't want to stay at this police station forever. Think we can break out?" I winked, then smiled.

  He sat up, breaking our eye contact. "That's genius, Casey! If we break out, we can go looking for Jess ourselves, maybe go back to the crime scene, and figure out what the hell Avrey wants with Jess. I mean, why would he just take Jess, why not the girl, why not me? I don't get it, there HAS to be a reason." He continued thinking things over to himself when I pulled him back down.

  "Quiet, they're going to come check on us, make us push our beds back. Do you really think we can? Why not try now?" I suggested, and he pointed to the metal bars surrounding us, as well as the bolted door. 

  "Oh... well, I guess we can wait until they let us out tomorrow, but in the meantime, why don't we get some sleep, and prepare tomorrow?" I asked, and he calmed down, sighing, and pulling the blanket back over us. 

  "You're right, we have tomorrow. Let's get some sleep." He smiled, and pulled me close to him, I fell asleep almost instantly. 

*****

   The next morning we awoke to yelling and screaming. Cam jumped out of the bed, and ran to the metal bars. He tried shaking them, but they wouldn't budge. I sat up, and walked over to him.

  "Cam, you know they bolt these before they leave. We watched them do it for the past four days. There's no way we're--" I got cut off by the bar door squeaking open, Cam looked at me with wide eyes, and ran out to the guards desk. I followed him shortly after.