Ch. 47 Couple Trouble

~ Last day in New York ~

{ P E R R I E }

"Where are we going, Jadey?" I groaned, glancing at the time on my phone.

"You'll see."

I rolled my eyes, glancing in the reflection of the window. I looked like I just got dragged out of bed, because I had. Jade physically yanked me by the arms out of bed, not giving me a chance to do anything but brush my teeth and pee. So here I was, sitting in the backseat of a cab, in my pyjamas. It was obvious how exhausted I was, and my hair was a mess.

"You couldn't have warned me you'd be taking me out at freaking 6:30 in the morning? I look awful," I whined, resting my head against the cool glass.

"You look beautiful," Jade chuckled, kissing my cheek.

"Yeah, sure," I grumbled.

               ***

Finally, the car sopped.

"Put this on," Jade said, holding out a blindfold.

I started at it. "How about no."

She said nothing, just held it in front of me, waiting. I groaned loudly, then took it and hurriedly slapped it on.

"Thank you." She took my hands, leading me forward. I heard a swoosh, then cool air against my face. I sniffed. Is that . . . metal?

Jade let go of my hands. "Wait here." She pecked my lips then walked away, her footsteps fading with every step.

"Just peachy," I grumbled, sitting down cross-legged. I tried to listen to the conversations of the people walking around me, but since it was so early, the building was next to empty.

Finally, I heard Jade laughing as she came closer, then grabbing my hands and pulling me to my feet.

"Ready?"

"Well I don't know, for what?" I snapped. Before I could continue, she swooped me off my feet and into her arms.

"Okay, now I'm worried," I said quietly. She just chuckled and started walking. I noticed after a while that she was climbing stairs.

"Listen, I don't want to be a bother, but I sense we're going up stairs, and I'm not the lightest, so if you could just put me down and let me walk, that'd be great."

"Can't risk you getting hurt," she said, not slowing down.

"This is kidnapping, you know."

"No, it isn't."

"How so?"

"I don't think you're supposed to date your captive," she joked.

"Haven't you heard of Stockholm Syndrome?"

She laughed. "Please, calm down. You're gonna love this, I know it."

I sighed. "Fine. I still love you."

"I know."

"Shut up."

"Okay."

          ***

"Okay, you seriously need to put me down," I said after about 30 minutes of straight climbing up stairs. Jade had to be exhausted; she was only tiny and carrying me wouldn't be easy. All I could smell was loose change.

"Nope. Almost there."

"You're going to have a stroke," I warned, then my ears popped.

"How high up are we?"