Ch. 65 Never Can Say Goodbye

~ Last day in California ~

{ P E R R I E }

"I'm gonna miss you," I sniffled, hugging her tighter.

Aimee laughed, patting my back. "I'll miss you too, kiddo. You need anything, you call me."

"Promise you'll visit during Christmas?"

She chuckled and kissed my tear-stained cheeks. "You have my word, love. Take care of your woman, okay?" 

I wiped my eyes and looked over my shoulder at Jade and the rest of them, looking forlorn. I nodded rapidly and hugged her again. "Please don't leave." 

She laughed drily, her eyes filling with tears. "You know I have to. Don't make this any harder than it needs to be." 

I responded my squeezing her tighter. "If you ever need someone to talk to . . ." 

"I know, I'll call you. Love you kiddo."

"Love you too." I finally pulled away from her, watching as she waved sadly at everyone else then turned towards the hallway connecting to the plane. 

"See you soon, okay?" she offered softly, adjusting her duffel on her shoulder. 

I nodded and tried to smile, but failed miserably. I gave up trying to be strong and simply plopped down cross-legged onto the carpet, letting the people mill around me. I watched from my spot on the floor as she disappeared through the crowds, her purple leopard print suitcase merging with the others. Gone. 

I didn't look up until someone's arms hooked under mine and lifted me up, and I felt someone's chest press against my back. I turned around and buried my face into their neck, weeping softly. 

"Shhhh . . . It's gonna be okay. Don't be sad," Jade soothed, stroking my hair back and kissing my cheek. I knew she wanted to understand, but no one was really as close to Aimee as I was. Everyone loved her of course, but we'd formed a closer bond- making it especially hard to let her go. 

"I'm gonna miss her so much," I sobbed, wrapping my arms around Jade's neck, tangling my fingers into her hair. 

"We all will. But she needs to do this for herself and for Marcus, and you need to let her. Be strong, babe. I love you so much and it's killing me to see you like this." 

I sniffed, wiping my eyes and lowering my hands. "I'm sorry. I'm being selfish." 

She shook her head firmly, kissing my forehead. "No, you just miss your friend. Let's get going, yeah? Gotta get to Arizona." 

I slowly nodded, looking behind me at the flight attendant who was checking people's tickets. Aimee was nowhere to be found. "Okay," I sighed, hugging Jade's waist again. "Thank you for being so sweet. I'm glad I have you." 

She smiled and kissed the top of my head. "Always." She gently took my hand and led me back towards our group, who surrounded me with hugs and words of encouragement. I really didn't pay much attention, just focused on Jade's warm hand laced through mine. 

Today was going to be a long day.

***

{ J A D E }

"Babe?" I whispered, pushing Perrie's hair back. She sighed and looked at me, pain obvious in her eyes.