Ch. 40 Start of Something New

{ P E R R I E }

Finally, after what seemed like ages, I could open my eyes. The first thing I saw was Jade, eyes sparkling, watching my face intently. I did my best to smile.

"Jade," I said, but for some reason I couldn't get my voice to work. It didn't matter, she was smiling wide anyway.

"Perrie," she whispered. "I love you."

My heart strings pulled and it was all I could do not to burst into happy tears. "I love you too," I whispered hoarsely. "Forever and-"

"Always. I got that," she joked, reaching up to stroke my cheek.

"How is everyone?" I asked, my voice still a little scratchy.

Jade rolled her eyes. "Of course, you get stabbed and the first thing you think about is how everyone else is. Worried about you!"

I smiled weakly, then an ugly thought crawled into my mind. "Is Phillip okay?" Jade's smile disappeared and I knew. Oh god, not Phillip.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "Zayn too."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

She sighed, squeezing my hand again. "I'm sorry, but he . . . hung himself."

I gasped. "When?"

"Right after he . . . hurt you." Her eyes turned angry, and she clenched her fists. That wasn't my reaction at all. Zayn was dead. My best friend, Zayn.

Once the tears started, they didn't seem to stop. Jade tried to comfort me, but I guess it was hard to feel sorry when the first time she saw him in person was after he'd stabbed me and killed himself. But I still refused to believe that the Zayn I know would do that.

"Does his mother know?"

Jade shook her head. "We figured you might want to tell them. Your mum knows though, and she told us that if you don't call soon, she'd flying out here." She chuckled.

"Cell phone, please," I said quietly. Jade grinned and stood up to rummage through my purse on the table at the end of the bed. She handed me my cell, pressing her lips to my forehead.

"You don't know how glad I am that you're okay," she mumbled, sitting back down. I smiled sadly, reaching up to weakly push her hair back.

"I love you too."

      ***

After calling my mum, Jade decided we should probably tell everyone that I was awake even though it was midnight here. They were on their way.

"You should get some sleep," I said to Jade, who's head was resting on the bed next to me. I absentmindedly twirled her hair in my fingertips. She shook her head.

"I've been waiting two days to hear your voice. Those were the worst two days of my life. You think I'm going to sleep now?"

"If you don't try to get some sleep right now, I will tell Claud to carry you out of here and to bed in the hotel room," I lied. Jade believed me though, and her eyes got huge.

"Okay, okay. Please don't make me leave," she pleaded, clutching my hand in hers. I smiled and brought her hand to my lips, kissing her fingertips.

"Just sleep, okay?"

She nodded reluctantly and closed her eyes, not leaving my side or releasing my hand. By the time everyone had arrived, she was already out cold, snoring softly next to me.

"Hey look, the princess is awake!" Leigh joked as her and Jesy, Sam and the Mix-Men walked through the door. I waved at them.

Jesy looked like she was about to break down crying. "Are you okay, Jes?"