Truth

Faith's POV

Beep, beep, beep... you know I'm beginning to hate that sound. Heart rate monitors are starting to become a little too common in my life. First there was the coma where I spent eight and a half months next to one, even if I didn't really know it.

Then after B was kinda beaten up by Adam... and now this little chapter in our overly dramatic lives. I know heart rate monitors are supposed to be a good thing, they tell people you're still alive, but I'd be eternally happy if I never heard one again.

At least B's alive though, I have that much to be thankful for.

I squeeze her hand gently and she stirs a bit.

She's been unconscious since I rescued her a few days ago. The doctors had to give her a few things to make sure she'd heal properly. I'm still surprised they bought that story Ben told them about a wild animal. Though I guess with a giant snake carcass out on the front lawn it was more believable.

They said when she did come out of it she'd probably be in and out of it, and really groggy. I just hope she comes out of it soon. Not just because I want her to get better, I mean I do want her to get better, but we also have to talk.

I need to know why this demon woman wants Dawn so much that she'd torture Buffy to find her. To protect Dawn I need to know why she has to be protected. I'll protect Dawn till the end of the world if I have to but if I don't know why I'm doing it then I may say the wrong thing or do the wrong thing without even knowing it. I don't want to do that.

"F... Faith I'm... s-sorry..."

That's the other thing that we have to talk about. She keeps saying stuff like that in her sleep. What the hell is she trying to say? What is she sorry about? Is she sorry for me? Is she sorry for herself? Maybe she's sorry to Dawn for giving up the secret?

Probably not, that demon woman didn't look like a satisfied customer, and it's like Joyce said, Buffy would never do that to Dawn, she's strong. She'd have to be to survive 3 broken ribs, an arm broken in two places and a near broken leg, not to mention the snake poison in her system. I don't know that I would've survived, then again I won't have to know because I don't have any info this thing wants.

I kiss B's knuckles.

She will come for me though, that much is obvious. After putting her though a wall, anyone with half a brain would assume I stand in her way, which is all the more reason I need to know the whole score. I just wish she'd wake up and see it.

"I... I love you..."

So you keep saying.

The door opens and I look back to see Dawn standing just inside the doorway. She smiles as I look her in the eyes.

"Can I come in?"

"Of course kid."

She starts dragging a second chair next to mine.

"Dawn..."

She stops.

"Sorry, it's just... these chairs are, heavy."

She picks up the chair and sets it next to mine.

"I didn't wake her up did I?"

"No, the doctors gave her some strong stuff to keep her asleep."

"I guess they don't want her running off and almost dying."

"Wow that was subtle. Really smooth Dawn."