Mother Knows Best

Buffy's POV

I did it. I told her the truth. The truth about what happened to me, about where I was... well, mostly. But the important thing is, now she can go away and never come back.

Bitch!

All that crap she kept spewing about great love and how she couldn't live without me it just, pissed me off so much. It'll never last. It doesn't matter how much we want each other, one of us will sooner or later wind up dead and ultimately be better off for it. And I kinda hope it's me.

Faith's never been dead, she doesn't know what she's missing, I do. I've felt it every moment since I've been back. The pain, the emptiness, I feel alone in a room full of friends and it's all Faith's fault. I never would've been brought back if it weren't for her. I can't be with someone who would do that to me. Someone who could rip me out of heaven just because they can't live without me.

I'm not stupid. I know that Faith didn't do the spell herself. She doesn't have that kind of power, but Willow wouldn't have done it if Faith hadn't asked her to, I know that much. This is all Faith's fault and I can't just let that go.

Faith's POV

This is all my fault. She hates me.

I walk up to the door of the Summers' home and I'm afraid to go in, even though Buffy isn't home.

I made the woman I love hate me. How could I do that? This is all my fault. If I had just tried harder or been a stronger person then none of this would've happened. Buffy would be happy and I... would still be miserable but, I'd know without a doubt that she loved me.

But now all I know for sure is that she hates me and it's all my fault. What do I do now? How can I go in there and tell Joyce I broke my promise to her? I promised Joyce I'd never hurt Buffy and I broke that promise. Now I have to face the music. Buffy hates me. Any minute now Joyce is gonna hate me for hurting her daughter and I can only imagine things getting worse from here.

I start pacing back and forth outside the door.

I thought, I thought things would be better with Buffy back. She always makes things better, until now. I'm scared out of my mind...

The door suddenly opens and Joyce is standing on the other side.

"Faith? What are you doing out here?"

Going insane?

"Nothing..."

"Well come inside, you do live here after all."

For now I guess.

I go in and she closes the door behind me.

"Can I make you some hot tea? Or something to eat maybe?"

"No, I'm okay."

I'm so far from okay.

We walk into the living room and sit down.

"Okay, what's wrong?"

"What? Nothing... nothing's wrong."

"Don't give me that, something wrong and I wanna help."

Help... that's all I wanted to do for Buffy too, and look how that turned out.

"It's nothing..."

"Faith, did something happen?"

"It's just... I broke my promise."

I lower my eyes.